cecilia's Reviews > Zombie Queen of Newbury High

Feb 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: red-covers
Read in January, 2009

I guess Zombie Queen Of Newbury High was a pretty cute book - along the lines of Prada & Prejudice cuteness. I think that I had higher hopes for this book, although I do not know what I had expected from it. More zombies? Better characters? I don't know. More something. I had read You're So Undead To Me earlier this year, and I think that probably set the bar for YA zombie reads as far as cute zombie love goes. I just didn't think Zombie Queen Of Newbury High had that special zombie magic that sparks my interest.

My favorite character is actually Mia's best friend Candace who seems to think everything is wrong with her and tries to self-medicate herself with weird powders and potions to ward off any unhealthy evils. Her progression into a zombie proved to be interesting and different from what I would typically expect. And most definitely humorous, to say the least!

The existence of zombies and how they are kept secret from the public was not properly explained in Zombie Queen Of Newbury High. Instead, I had many questions afterwards like "Were all the other zombie outbreaks due to a love potion gone wrong?" Somehow I doubt Mia's case was a common "zombie" story in this universe. It would have been nice to hear a little more of other instances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Queen of Newbury High.