April's Reviews > The Innocent

The Innocent by Vincent Zandri

May 23, 11

Read from February 05 to 13, 2011

Edgy, real and entrapping. The Innocent will take you on a trip not soon forgotten!

If you haven't heard the name Vincent Zandri, you are truly missing out on an amazing author. His talent for entrapping the reader within his stories and flinging them, head first, into never-ending action is remarkable. In The Innocent, we meet Warden Jack Marconi, a man who is mourning the sudden lose of his beloved wife, after she was killed in a horrific way, a year ago. Since her death, the warden has been letting things slip between his fingers, as his mind is not truly within his work nor his life. It is when a cop-killer escapes during an off-prison-site dental visit that Marconi signs off on, that life takes yet another turn toward hell.

Suddenly, Marconi is in the spotlight as the man who let a dangerous cop-killer loose, in the process severely injuring two of the Prison's men. As if that isn't bad enough, more bodies turn up, threats rain down on Marconi and his life is hanging by a thread. Not knowing who to trust, he takes matters into his own hands to uncover the horrifying truths, as well as the twisted and sinister plots meant to put him behind bars - an ending worse than death.

With the help of the cop killer's girlfriend (a most unlikely partner), Marconi plots to uncover a conspiracy and plots long in the works. What the reader will discover will shock and leave them reeling.

The Innocent tells two different stories. The main story of Marconi on the run for his life, as well as a story that takes place during September of 1971 - the Attica riots - which change lives forever and intertwines many of the lives involved within the present day story. The transitions between these story shifts are incredibly smooth and lend to the quick pace of the story. Bringing shock, horror and enlightenment with each page.

The Innocent is gritty, gripping and, in the end, highly gratifying. I was transfixed with the main character, Marconi, and truly cared about him from the very beginning. His character comes to life and the story truly captivates. I greatly enjoyed Vincent Zandri's writing style and his storyline in The Innocent is excellent. A truly wonderful and quick paced thriller, The Innocent is the perfect read for those looking for action, shocks and thrills. Do be advised that there are a few graphic parts within the story, however nothing that is overly so - just a word for those easily offended or upset by a bit of graphic violence.

Needless to say, as soon as I finished The Innocent, I had to hopped over and purchased it's sequel, Godchild, which I am eagerly looking forward to delving into!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocent.

02/05/2011