Paul's Reviews > Mona Lisa Overdrive

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, four-star-plus

When I started reading William Gibson's novels and short stories, I did not realize that they were component parts of larger stories. When I read Count Zero, for example, I did not realize it was part of the Sprawl trilogy, along with Neuromancer and Mona Lisa Overdrive, or that All Tomorrow's Parties was part of the Bridge trilogy, along with Virtual Light and Idoru. So I read them all out of order, and when I'd see references to the Sprawl (the domed concentration of Eastern Seaboard cities) or to the community living on the closed, earthquake-damaged San Francisco Bay Bridge, I regarded them as common elements in disconnected stories. Because, in fact, you can read Gibson's novels out of order, and even mix novels from different trilogies, and be quite satisfied. Gibson is a terrific storyteller, and each novel stands alone. But now that I've figured out the trilogy structure of the Sprawl and Bridge novels, I'm going to have to read them again, this time in order, because I know I'll see more than I saw first time around. Good. I've been looking for an excuse to read more Gibson!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mona Lisa Overdrive.