Gina's Reviews > These Things Hidden

These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read on February 05, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Overall, I liked this book quite a lot. Not too taxing mentally and it never seemed to drag. It was kind of the literary equivalent of a really excellent episode of Law and Order. That's not a dig, by the way. I love Law and Order (original series).

The ending, though, and that "twist"...eh. It was apparent all along that we weren't getting the whole story, but dang, it was so disappointing. Of course Allison was lying to protect her sister. Of course no one was really at fault. I feel like I've seen this about 1000 times before. I suspect making Allison innocent had something to do with baby killers not really making for sympathetic characters, but it kind of killed it for me. Having Brynn suddenly go off the deep end felt a little forced, too. There were hints that she was a little unbalanced and suicidal at times, but the leap from there to crazed murderer was a little too much for me.

Good book, though. It was just what I needed after being iced in for days.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Things Hidden.