RachelAnne's Reviews > The Sons of Liberty #1

The Sons of Liberty #1 by Alexander Lagos

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: historical, graphic, fantasy
Read in February, 2011

I know I'm a stickler for historical accuracy, but I don't think it's a minor detail to point out that Quakers believe in NONVIOLENCE! Benjamin Lay did exist, he was a FASCINATING anti-slavery activist, but he relied on non-violent methods; he would NOT have become some sort of abolitionist ninja, nor would he have taught others to fight! Also, the Philadelphia Meeting of Friends formally urged others to denounce slavery in 1754, and by 1761, a consensus had been reached that anyone who owned or trafficked in slaves could no longer call himself a Friend/Quaker. So, it's hardly plausible that Benjamin Lay would be encountering such a level of resistance from slave-owning Friends in Abington at such a late date as 1760!

The main characters were frankly the least interesting characters in the story, and showed very little development. Auxiliary figures plucked from American History were the most intriguing figures in the book, not because of the authors' art, but because of their own deeds. Franklin's son might be a good villain if he were better developed, but despite its graphic-novel length, this volume has the level of resolution and plot exposition of one or two regular staple-bound comic books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sons of Liberty #1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Edmund Davis-Quinn I took it as primarily fiction, but thanks for the info.

RachelAnne Sure, it's fiction, but it's *historical* fiction. When historical figures are made into fictional characters, shouldn't certain factual bounds be observed? Would it be okay for John Adams to represented as pro-slavery, or Thomas Jefferson as a secret emissary of the Pope? At what point does historical fiction cross the line into alternate history/ these people just happen to have the same names-territory?

Edmund Davis-Quinn When it's a superhero-like graphic novel, I don't put much faith in the history. If it was non-fiction I would completely and totally agree with you. It's very clear the Lagos brothers weren't after accuracy.

RachelAnne Marvel 1602 is an example of a superhero comic (later compiled into a graphic novel) that did a pretty good job of remaining faithful to known historical records, legends and folklore. I wouldn't use it as a textbook, but it doesn't openly contradict any facts, which makes it more enjoyable to a reader who loves history. I just feel that if you're using a real person's name, you should respect that individual's known beliefs--otherwise, create a fictional character.