John's Reviews > Stuff Christians Like

Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff

Feb 05, 11

If you're not familiar with Jon Acuff, he is a wildly popular blogger who has built a reputation out of being able to see what's comical about this crazy business called evangelical Christianity.

Never sarcastic, never bitter, cynical or critical, but playfully and affectionately he pokes fun at all of our little idiosyncracies in dozens of short essays with titles like "Ranking Honeymoon Sex Slightly Higher than the Second Coming of Christ" "Watching R Rated Movies... But Only If They're Violent" "Being Slightly Offended that the Pastor Has a Nicer Car Than You Do" "Feeling Slightly Disappointed When Someone Accepts Our Fake Offer of Generosity".... ok, I could go on an on and on here, just like Jon does... this guy is scary good about mixing up social commentary, hip pop culture references, and humor in a no holds barred cage match of a book.

"Seriously, why would I hire a full-time youth minister when I can get a real working traffic light for only $378?"

"I've never gotten a speeding ticket, but if I ever do, I want to be honest with you. I'm going to name-drop God."

"Christianity needs to be more relevant... How can I witness to someone about the love of Christ if I can't hang in a conversation about Family Guy?"

But what I liked most about the book is the last collection of essays, which were the "serious ones." Jon proves that he thinks deeply and sincerely about what it means to walk with Christ in a fallen world. In the last essay of the book, he concludes that the message of Christianity is that we are sick, but we are loved, and that we must embrace both. And I think humor helps us to do that. So let's be sick, and let's be loved, and let's have a few good laughs along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuff Christians Like.