Emily's Reviews > Paranormalcy

F_50x66
Feb 05, 11

Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Title & Cover:
I'm ashamed to say that most of the time I judge the chance of me reading a book by the cover, so of course the second I saw this cover I just had to buy it. After reading this book I realized that the dress kind of shows the layers of the book, the pink representing the light-hearted comedy and easy-flow & the black representing the dark mysteries the book holds true. I think the name is original, but because sooo many books could go under with this title I'm surprised it's never been used before.

Summary:
Sixteen-year-old Evie learns that she is not quite the person she thought she was in this creature-feature mash-up. Possessing the unique ability to recognize paranormals beneath their glamour, Evie has lived most of her life under the protection of the International Paranormal Containment Agreement (IPCA), an organization dedicated to the cataloging and neutralizing of paranormal creatures. After a mysterious entity begins killing paranormals around the world, Evie discovers some startling truths about her own identity. This is a fast-paced, entertaining debut, reminiscent of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series in its story of a seemingly normal girl coerced to work for a supernatural agenda that she doesn’t always understand. White creates compelling tension as Evie longs for a normal teenhood while trying to preserve the humanity she has always believed to be her birthright; a love triangle adds further conflict, as Evie must choose between not only two different interests but two starkly different destinies. Alternately funny and tragic but never maudlin, White’s debut will have broad appeal among fantasy fans. Grades 9-12. --Kara Dean

My Thoughts:
This book was really refreshing for many reasons...
1. The character was girlie-,but still kicked-paranormal butt
2. Evie had a PINK TAZER!!!
3. The character no-matter what this situation always managed to crack a joke that had me lol-ing

There is not much I can say bad about this book the characters had depth, Kiersten explain everything without missing a beat. I loved this book because it was like a buffet. It had action, adventure, romance, mystery, and comedy and of course an awesome lead! There ism't much more I want to say in fear of ruining the story, but be prepared for werewolves, vamps, fairies, mermaids, and legends.

P.S. READ THIS BOOK!!!

Rating: A+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.