Wil Wheaton's Reviews > Catching Fire

2040005
Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

This isn't nearly as enjoyable as The Hunger Games. It feels like it's heavily targeted toward the Twilight crowd, and (view spoiler)

I'm curious to know how the story ends in Mockingjay, but I was so turned off by the bulk of this book, I'm not in a big hurry to read it.

Now, none of this is to say that this book is bad, just that I'm way out of the target audience (as a 38 year-old guy, that's probably not surprising.) If I hadn't liked The Hunger Games as much as I did, I would probably give this 3.5 stars, but since it is part of the trilogy, and my expectations were set by how much I liked the first book, it only gets 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leah Yes! I'm not in the demographic either but I was able to pretend I was for long enough to sustain me through the read, and then to make me feel foolish (and old) afterward.

orangerful I suggest picking up her "Gregor the Overlander" series. It's technically a children's series, but Collins' has this obsession with writing about kids and war and the effect it has on them so by the end, it feels much older than a kids book. I'm still not sure which series I liked the best. Knowing you, you'll have all 5 read in a day ;-)

message 3: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev Coe Yeah, the trilogy definitely went downhill. I'm a bit closer to the demographic, and even though I would argue this love triangle was navigated with more realism, the whole thing just drives me crazy and weakens the impact of a potentially powerful plot.

Aimee Mockingjay is much more satisfying, IMO; this was definitely the sagging middle book of the series.

Mike Mitchell I felt the same. Most of the book I felt like I was reading a book not written for me. No biggie, but the book also seemed to try to be all things for all folks which then turned me off. I've read books that navigated this much better.