Wil Wheaton's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

2040005
Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Recommended for: I'd recommend this for all YA readers, or anyone else looking for a quick and enjoyable read.
Read in October, 2010 — I own a copy

One of my friends, I think it was John Scalzi, recommended this book to me. I was totally unaware of the hype surrounding it, so I didn't have any of the mixed feelings that so many other readers appear to have had.

Going into it, I expected something like Battle Royale, but that was sort of like the comparing The Fighter to The Wrestler; if you're ignorant about one or both of them and only know what you've heard, it's easy to assume they're similar when they are, in fact, very different.

I enjoyed the characters, the dialog, and especially the setting. The Hunger Games is part of a trilogy, but it stands very nicely on its own. I'd recommend this for all YA readers, or anyone else looking for a quick and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rose I loved the Hunger Games trilogy. Maybe not so much Mockingjay that last one, but enjoyed the journey. I just heard about Battle Royale. My son asked me to order that one for him. Funny, never having heard of it before and now hearing twice in one week. If you liked the Hunger Games, I'd like to recommend The Maze Runner (pt1) and The Scorch Trials (pt2). This is another YA trilogy that's even better than the Hunger Games in my opinion.

Nicole Zimmer "The Hunger Games" was by far the best in the entire trilogy.

Nova-Starr Maxwell Yes very excellent. The end blew me away. With the mutations.