Corley's Reviews > Softly and Tenderly

Softly and Tenderly by Sara Evans

May 04, 2011

bookshelves: adult
Read from May 03 to 04, 2011 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I loved this one even more than the first. I read the first book over a year ago, and I fell right back in love with these characters: strong and tired Jade, who's always been trampled over; crazy Beryl, Jade's mama who's now dying of cancer. And a new character for me to like: June, Jade's mother-in-law. In this second book of Evan's Songbird series, Jade is faced with even more sadness, lies, heartbreak, understanding, love, and peace.

I liked how we got to see some more of Jade's past (when she was a kid) and how things were when she had just a crush on Dustin. Speaking of Dustin, I started liking him in this book, because he truly cares for Jade and knows she deserves better than himself (and Max). And he's not going to mess with her marriage, so I found that admirable.

Jade...oh gosh, she has the worst troubles of any person! First all that stuff with her mama, her daddy left when she was little, she married Dustin, he left, she had an abortion, fell in love with Max (& he is an addict), has had 3 miscarriages, and now finds her husband has a nineteen-month-old son she knew nothing about. Honestly, I don't see how Jade has come this far and stayed as strong as she has; all I know is that God must be helping her.

I can't wait for the next book, Love Lifted Me. Great job, Sara!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Softly and Tenderly.