Libtechgurugoddess's Reviews > The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë

The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë by Laura Joh Rowland

Feb 05, 11

I listened to this book in audio format because this month's theme for my Death & Dessert mystery book club was audio books. Fantastic reader, Rosalyn Landor! She has a lovely British accent and does male voices quite well. I had not read Laura Joh Rowland before. Her use of historical characters and situations was nicely interwoven with the fictional story. This is one of my favorite periods in history and certainly using Charlotte Brontë as the protagonist is an inspired idea. Her life was so brief and women in Victorian England were so repressed, that there's plenty of tension and conflict to work into the story. It's a bit hard to believe that Charlotte would be so strong-minded and independent as shown in the book, especially since the author portrays her sisters in such a poor light, but I guess when you take into account her infatuation for the fictional hero John Slade, she certainly had motivation. The problem is the ending which I won't give away. Not that everything has to end "happily ever after" for me to like a book, but it felt so unresolved, as if we were still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm glad to see there's a sequel, so maybe that will take care of my feeling of dissatisfaction. Or maybe I just didn't want the book to end since it made the drive to and from work absolutely fly by for the last 2 weeks!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë.