Libtechgurugoddess's Reviews > Medicus

Medicus by Ruth Downie

Feb 05, 2011

liked it

I picked up this book because it's a mystery set in ancient Roman times, though based in Brittania. The hero is Gaius Petrius Ruso, but he refers to himself as simply Ruso. He's an army doctor for the Roman Empire. I like his quiet irony and self-effacement, although he's obviously more intelligent and observant than most of the people around him. Solving the murders seems to be almost a side story, compared to the fascinating minutiae about the Roman army and life as a doctor in ancient Britain. The main story—at least for me—is how Ruso "saves" a native slave girl/woman from being beaten to death and then goes on to take care of her as his patient, even though he purchased her from the brutal previous owner and she's now his slave. It's funny how Ruso gets sucked into solving the murders of the prostitutes at the local bar. Because he's an inquisitive fellow, everyone he meets keeps asking him how he's coming along with the investigation. Despite his protests to the contrary, he stumbles onto the resolution of the mystery. Quite a good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medicus.