Goose's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Feb 05, 11

Due to the nature of this mystery, it is difficult to say much about it without spoilers of some kind. However, I will try. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is in Quebec City recovering from injuries suffered in a case, that the reader learns about in ingeniously layered flashbacks, when a body turns up at the Literary and Historical Society library. The investigating officer recognizes Gamache and asks for his help. Meanwhile, Jean Guy Beauvoir has returned to the village of Three Pines to re-examine the case of the murdered hermit from The Brutal Telling. To say the Penny gets everything right is an understatement. Gone are the over-the-top denouement of her first few Three Pines mysteries. Gone too are the mysteries that don't seem to be going anywhere or are placed to the side so that characterization can steer the book. Maybe by giving Gamache and Beauvoir seperate "cases" and also having the mystery of what happened to them between The Brutal Telling and this book slowly revealed, Penny has finally struck the perfect mixture of character, mystery plotting, and history. Gamache, Beauvoir, the villagers of Three Pines, the board members of the Literary and Historical Society, The Champlain Society, and even the notorious Agent Nichol are rendered with near perfect detail and characterization as the mysteries are investigated and the past comes to weigh on the present. Truly the best of this series of books and a must read for all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue I really am going to have to get to this series at some point. Should I start at the beginning?

Goose Yes. They are all well written, though the early ones tend toward over the top conclusions.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Thanks. This last one sounds tempting, but I'll wait to read it til I've read the others.