Heather's Reviews > India Black

India Black by Carol K. Carr

Feb 05, 2011

bookshelves: 19th-c, arc, england, historical-fiction, mystery, victorian
Read from February 05 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy

I had no idea what to expect when I picked up this book. I had not read an HF/Mystery book before and my experience with novelized prostitutes or “ladies of the night” was next to nothing. I didn't know if this was going to be bawdy or what. If you are having these same thoughts when regarding this book, let those fly away because this was a hilariously funny read. Yes, much of it takes place in a brothel, but the comedy that ensues in the process is awesome.

India Black is a wonderful narrator for this story – she is frank, open, and to the point. She speaks right to the reader and tells you just what is going on. I loved how she is retelling this story and adds in little tidbits here and there that you wouldn’t have know if this story was being told as it was happening. One of the strengths of the author is her descriptions, especially of her characters. Let me show you one of my favorite examples about a street urchin you will grow to love from early in the book:
“In summer, he attracted more flies than a Cairo camel market, and in winter you could just tolerate being in the same room provided the fire was low and the window cracked open” (30).

I also loved French, a British spy, he is so dashing if he is a little cold. But he will certainly grow on you too.

Carol Carr is also superb at keeping the story moving along full speed ahead. You learn what you have to of back story but you don’t get bogged down in it. It really is a lively romp across England – by carriage, sleigh, foot, and boat! One of the ways she keeps you reading is the cliff hangers at the end of almost every chapter – for someone who likes to stop at the end of the chapter it is impossible to put down because you don’t stop for breath – must…keep…reading…

This is a light weight, fun, mystery. This would be perfect to read between two books that are heavy or very emotional because it lets you put your guard down. I am interested in reading book 2 and possibly beyond (if it is picked up for that). This would be a series I would always enjoy reading.

There were a couple of minor, trivial things that bothered me as I read, but the journey was so fun that by the time I reached the end and thought back over the book, I really can’t remember what they were! So they can’t have been that troubling.

This book was received for review from the publisher - I was not compensated for my opinions and the above is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read India Black.

02/06/2011 page 24