Emily May's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, dystopia-utopia, young-adult, 2011, boring
Read on April 26, 2011

What the hell? Even though I have sometimes enjoyed a book and not really liked the sequel, it's very rare that I would love one and absolutely hate the other. I desperately tried to finish it but I was bored, I kept getting distracted by either my family, my cats or some random fluff on the carpet... so I just skim-read it to the end and gave myself a basic idea of what the conclusion was.

I truly loved The Maze Runner, even though quite a few people found it annoying - particularly the protagonist - and not the best written book ever. I found myself dragged into the maze with them, trying to solve the mystery - why are they there? How do they get out? Can they get out? And so on. But this second in the trilogy(?) was so disappointing. Thomas was even more annoying, we'd already lost the best character (Chuck) at the end of book one and the story just didn't grab me. Maybe because it took me a while to get what they were meant to do - cross a desert basically - and when I got it I thought "how lame".

I just felt nothing for this novel, the characters, the plot. I wanted it to end and that's never good. Mostly I felt as if Dashner himself didn't know where he was going with it. Where The Maze Runner was structured and clever, this story all felt a bit random and haphazard. I found myself wishing that the author could have just rounded the first book off at the end and not bothered with a second installment - it seemed more like a money-making scheme than a contribution to the overall story. Plus, Thomas must be both the most boring and unrealistic character ever.

Another thing that annoyed me in both books, but stood out more in this one because it didn't have a gripping plot to distract me from it, is that the author tells you everything. A good author knows how to show the way things are, if that makes sense, and it makes for much better writing. Dashner continually tells the reader what Thomas or whoever is feeling rather than letting them realise it for themselves; instead of saying something along the lines of "Thomas' eyes grew cloudy with suppressed tears", he would instead say "Thomas was really upset". And, therefore, it simply did not flow. But the worst thing for me is the constant inexplicable 'sensing' going on. Countless times in the novel Thomas "just knows" that something is dangerous or an individual can be trusted because he gets a "feeling" - and just how the hell does he do that? There is no rational explanation for it and the author doesn't seem to be developing some sixth sense storyline as of yet. It all seems a bit ridiculous to me. That's why I won't be reading The Death Cure, it's unfortunate because I was really looking forward to this sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.

04/26/2011 page 139

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Good thing I haven't bought it yet. Thanks!

Emily May Lisa wrote: "Good thing I haven't bought it yet. Thanks!"

You're welcome :)

Jared the sensing thig was the WORST! it drove me crazy. if felt so lazy and weird. i think he did it because the plot was just too much of a mess of everyone running around for no reason acting like a moron.i don't remember him doing that in the first book. huge disappointment.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat I completely agree :( i'm not even 100 pages in, and i'm having to force myself to finish it.

message 5: by Dri (new)

Dri You nailed it again, i guess ill have to read your reviews more often! I couldn't finish this book, and i also loved the maze runner...

Emily May Thanks Dri! It's always nice to find like-minded people on goodreads :)

Sarah so far I'm agreeing. I want to like it because I want to want to finish the series (does what I said make sense? lol) but if it ends like its been going I don't know if ill be able to..

Jared W Good thing you decided to save yourself from the last book. I wrote a review on just how terrible that book was. So many things were wrong with this series that It's too much to even put in one review.

Cara I felt the same way about this book. I had to force myself to finish it. I'm going to read the last book just to see where this story ends up going, but I'm not enthusiastic about it.

Emily May Good luck. I never read it because i couldn't muster up any enthusiasm at all... hope it's better than this one!

message 11: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber i feel the same. about half way in right now. i was told the 3rd one redeems the author

Emily May From the reviews I've read, Dashner leaves many questions unanswered at the end, so many people were dissatisfied with that. But the story itself is supposedly better.

message 13: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber maybe that is why there is a prequel? i love maze runner so much Im hoping the series will come full circle somehow ;) im just going to keep trudging through and hope im not totally disappointed.

Isabel Ahhh you have expressed my every frustration with this book - *especially* the way this guy writes...Thomas was really upset. He was like totally upset! Instead of Thomas having teary eyes because of an *obviously* upsetting moment, right? This book is frustrating but I'm determined to read the last book 'cause I really want to know but it better be worth the frustration of reading it!!

Emily May Good luck with the end of the series, I hope it gets better :)

Andrea Diaz Oh I feel all awkward now because I'm over half way through the book and loving it. xD

Emily May Why feel awkward? That's a good thing! :)

Wesley Completely agree with this review. This line was hilariously awful:

"How many of the ones left do you think are still viable Candidates?" Thomas sensed the capital letter in the word - Candidates.'

Emily May LOL, I don't even remember that one but it's an excellent example of what I was trying to say :)

message 20: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Pine The general plot of this book seems to be required for the third book, which im not really sure if it is that much more entertaining. I know that I was bored with this one as well.

message 21: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle but if you dont read this one, The Death Cure or The Kill order wont make any since, I really like this book

Emily May I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kyle, but I just think I've lost all interest in this series now.

message 23: by Jem (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jem Christian Completely agree! I was SO BORED with the second book. I may read the third because I feel like I need to finish everything... But it's not something I'm fully looking forward to, unless the final book picks up the story a lot.

Jared W Jem wrote: "Completely agree! I was SO BORED with the second book. I may read the third because I feel like I need to finish everything... But it's not something I'm fully looking forward to, unless the final ..."

It doesn't. It kinda ruins it all IMOP.

Isabelle Schreck I liked the book...

message 26: by Kathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Kathy I forced myself to finish it, though I'm not sure why I did. I wrote my review before I read any others. Once I started reading other reviews, I realized I'm not the only one who hated this book.

message 27: by Nik (new) - rated it 1 star

Nik Bramblett "...so I just skim-read it to the end and gave myself a basic idea of what the conclusion was." You're a more diligent reader than I. I got to the point where he stabs the guy in the heart and just quit. I was already hating it, but that was pretty much the last straw for me.

Kristin First of all, I love reading your reviews on books! Second of all, I loved this book, and I just finished it! I thought it needed a lot more Crank parts in it with those diseased people, that's what the book is mostly about. I felt like it didn't reflect on a lot of the disease. I was expecting one of the Gladers to get worse from the Flare.

Emily May Thank you, Kristin! I'm glad the book was more to your liking :)

Denise I'm in chapter 3 and I most say I am really enjoying it but I hope it get better as i continue reading I loved the first book. I will let ya know how it goes when I finish reading it. On a side note, I like reading your review o this book. It gave some insight on it. :)
Again, I'll let ya know how it went with this book.

message 31: by Liv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liv Your absolutely right. This book was hair plain dull. The fact thy I wasn't wowed by the first one added I that, but I agree the fluff I the carpet was far more interesting than this book.

Emily May In hindsight - and after a couple of years to think about it - I also have to agree that The Maze Runner wasn't a great book. I liked it at the time but I was pretty new to the YA sci-fi/dystopian genre and I now realise there are far better books. But, yes, it was still better than this one :)

message 33: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Gilbuena THANK YOU FOR PUTTING MY THOUGHTS INTO THE RIGHT WORDS. This is exactly how I felt about this book.

Emily May No problem, thanks for reading :)

message 35: by Kiki (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiki Thank you for putting my concerns into words in regards to the author's over use of describing every little thought! Thought it was just me who felt it. Just how dumb do they think the target audience are? I'd like to think it was the editors who insisted on overly clarifying everything.

Emily May It definitely could be, I often wonder how much of an input the editors have had in a book and whether something I didn't like was their work or the author's :/

message 37: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Great review.

Emily May Thanks, Alyssa :)

Lovetoread47 I should have read your review before I bought the series and read the 2 books. I feel the same. I didn't comment on the first book, because honestly I did not know what to say. I read the 2nd book and I had to "vent". I own the series and will not rush to read The Death Cure.

message 40: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Spot on.

Olivia I completely agree with you!!!

Cecytrevino omg why?? this is my favorite book from the trilogy!!! i finished the 3 books in a week..... thats how obsessed i was

Rebecka Mähring I'am reading The Scorch Trials right now, sooooo disappointed. Great review btw

Emily May Thanks, Rebecka! Sorry to hear this is disappointing for you too :(

message 45: by Rafaeldavid29 (new)

Rafaeldavid29 JESUS CHRIST, spoiler alert please!!!!

message 46: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra The James dashner the maze runner series is one of the best I have ever read so Idk what you guys are talking about

Morgan I felt the same. To me some parts were simply ridicules. Even is the death cure the ended was rushed.

Julia Wood Completely agree. Barely finished Scorch and totally lost interest in The Death Cure. No idea and no interest in what's "really" going on or where the story goes.