Lucia Benzor's Reviews > The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963

The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis

4203414
Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: discrimination, older-kids, social-studies, well-written, civil-rights
Read in February, 2011

This book was pretty good. The main character and narrator, Kenny, was very well thought out. It is mostly the story of an ordinary family from Flint and their life there and later on their trip to Birmingham. This book has a place in a social studies Civil Rights Unit. I feel that the author manages to create this realistic family that the reader can get to know and then show how they are impacted by the First Baptist Church bombing in a way that makes us understand how that can impact a person/family you know in their life. Towards the end, I like that it shows how a child might be affected by these bombings, the questions that can arise, and how it ultimately can change you or make you grow up and see what the world is truly like. For an activity, I would use google lit trips to track the Watsons' trip down South and talk about the places they passed or stopped by and how the mindset of the people and the environment changed. You can see this when they talk about stopping in Tennessee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963.