Betsy's Reviews > Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield

Feb 15, 11

Read in February, 2011

Thoughts prior to beginning:
I loved "Love is Mix Tape" and read it in the days before my only child's birth, during labor, and in the days after she was born, so I have specific, vivid memories tied to that tale. I hope this one is even half as memorable.
Well... it wasn't quite as good as "Love is a Mix Tape," but in retrospect, how could it have been? I mean... how can you compare to childbirth and the unimaginable love that ensues???? and the tragic love story that was told in "Love is a Mix Tape?" This one was bound to be a little less memorable. That being said, I loved it and could barely put it down. Sheffield, who is a writer for Rolling Stone, sure knows his stuff when it comes to 80s and 90s music. It's absolutely amazing. I wonder if there is ANYTHING that I know half as much about. Maybe children's literature, but I certainly couldn't string this knowledge together to form any kind of cohesive work like he does here, and that alone is admirable.
I particularly liked the Morrissey/Smiths chapter and his obvious devotion to his super-cool sisters. Any guy who admits that he sings karaoke (in public!), quotes Duran Duran and Morrissey in the same book (much less the same chapter), and displays such unabashed emotion on so many levels is A-OK in my book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talking to Girls About Duran Duran.