Tara's Reviews > Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn?: Timeless Lessons on Love, Power, and Style

Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? by Pamela Clarke Keogh

Feb 05, 11

liked it
Read on February 05, 2011

This is a fun, light read and a nice tribute to both women. Written in a chatty, glossy magazine style. The illustrations (by Meg Hess, known for her Candace Bushnell cover art) are gorgeous and it's lovely to look at. It's not the kind of book I usually read, but I found it relaxing.

While I liked the general tone of the book very much, I couldn't help noticing some errors on the Marilyn side, to do with attribution of quotes, and factual details in anecdotes. It was all minor stuff but as the book went on, this irritated me.

But to be fair, the book is a self-help/style guide, not a biography. It deals with Jackie and Marilyn best as archetypes, though respectfully.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn?.

Merja Pohjola I noticed you had reviewed this too, but didn't wanna read it before I had written mine. Not as well as you wrote yours, though ;) I agree with your review 100%, and yeah, the mistakes seemed to increase as the book went on, so it started to irritate a bit more than it did in the beginning.

Tara I'm having a major clear-out, and just decided this one had to go! It is fun and nicely done, but misquotes drive me crazy.

Merja Pohjola Yeah I know.. but I STILL can't give up on any (and I do mean ANY) of my MM books.... ;/ Seems like she just jotted down some stuff from memory... whether it served her right or wrong... ;/

Merja Pohjola Oh yeah and I did like the drawings as well ;)That's a plus - but it's still only two star in my books ;)

Merja Pohjola starssssss