TravelingGal's Reviews > Encrypted

F_50x66
Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: steampunk
Read in January, 2011

I grabbed this after reading the author's previous book. It is set in the same world but in a different time frame and environment - which I liked because it gave a sense of richness to the world-building. The book is somewhat hard to describe because it contains several different elements but in many ways it reminds me of early Andre Norton where a less advanced culture comes upon mysterious relics from an alien civilization. Only in this case, the less advanced culture is a right in the middle of the steam age, complete with steam-powered iron ships. And did I mention that there was magic? But somehow, it all works together in a plot that was fast-moving and lots of fun.

I also really liked the characters. How can you resist a heroine who is smart, wears glasses (and really can't see without them), and trips over her own feet? And the hero was kind of a geek - but a very good-looking, competent geek. There was more romance in this than in the previous book but it worked really well. (For those who care, it is fade to black romance.) I liked the secondary characters as well and the effort the author put in to showing them as individuals and not just painting them as black or white because of the side they were on. Oh, and the appearance of a young Sicarius was a special treat.

All in all, a very enjoyable read and I look forward to the next book set in this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encrypted.