Christopher Gonzalez's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

M 50x66
Jul 10, 2007

Recommended for: those who appreciate true literature; lovers of the English language
Read in June, 2007

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul."

This is the beginning of Humbert Humbert's narrative regarding his obsession with the nymphet, Dolores Haze, a.k.a. Lolita. It is a confession of a pervert, and yet so much more.

Personally, I did not know what to expect. My wife saw me reading Lolita and did not hesitate to let me know that she would never spend the time reading a novel narrated by a man in his 40's who manipulates his situation in order to possess (both physically and emotionally) a girl not even in her teens. This novel, however, will turn your expectations completely as it did mine.

This book should be read and reread. Nabokov's vocabulary (in his second language) is astounding. I will have to go back and pull the multitude of words that I only have seen a handful of times in my life and look up their definitions. That alone is reason enough for a person to spend the money on this book: it will make you smarter.

Finally, if no one has already told you, you must read the "Forward" and the note by Nabokov. They are essential to getting the entire scope of this work. The Forward, by the way, is part of the novel, that is to say, it is an invention of Nabokov's prodigious mind.

"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.