Neal Kristopher's Reviews > The Lies That Bind

The Lies That Bind by Kate Carlisle

Feb 04, 11

Read in February, 2011

Reviews Of Unusual Size -

Re: Brooklyn Wainwright is teaching a bookbinding class and having lots of internal monologues about her feelings when a co-worker drops dead, another is assaulted and two dreamy men from her past appear. Are any of them connected? Will there be more murders? Did the people in her class pay to take it? Cause if they did, they've gotta be feeling ripped off.

Outstanding: The art of bookbinding and repair is vividly detailed and more interesting that I would have guessed. The idea for the series and it's location - San Francisco, is pretty cool.

Unacceptable: There was just so much time spent yammering on about how assorted people felt about other assorted people and how they were either annoying or sexalicious. The entire side trip to the Dharma Hippie commune felt tacked in and out of place.

Summary: This was the first "Cozy Mystery" that I've read and while I can certainly see the appeal - it's a kind of light romance/ lighter mystery hybrid - it didn't hit the spot at all. Carlisle has an upbeat and easy writing style, yet it took me weeks to finally finish.

Notes: Although her Bibliophile series suffers from a bad case of clip-art painting, they're pretty appealing. The same can not be said for her romance covers, which are truly horrid.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies That Bind.