Barbara's Reviews > The House on Tradd Street

Apr 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, romantic-suspense, mystery-paranormal
Read from April 15 to 17, 2012

Guess this is more a solid 3.5. When I started the book and was almost ½ way through, I was ready to rate it a 4. I was really enjoying the book and totally sucked into the story. However, shortly after that, the lead character, Melanie Middleton, a single, 39 year old realtor specializing in old homes in Charleston, SC area, started getting to me. At one point in the book, she describes herself as a thirteen year old when it comes to dating. Actually, she was acting like a thirteen year period; maybe even younger.

Admittedly, she didn’t have a good childhood – supposedly deserted by her mother when she was young and she ended up being caretaker at a young age to her alcoholic father. Hey, most of us don’t have wonderful childhoods. Some of us get over them. I actually starting thinking Melanie liked revealing in her past and the pain and just didn’t want to see anything else or learn how to get over it. This dragged the book down a bit for me.

However, I was intrigued by the “ghost” story and Melanie’s ability to see ghosts. She really doesn’t talk to them, but she can pick up feelings and intensions from the spirit world. I wish this aspect of the book was played up a bit more and there was less of the angst of a troubled childhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Tradd Street.

04/15/2012 page 140