Diane Ferbrache's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: adventure, war
Read from February 04 to 09, 2011

Laura Hillenbrand made a name for herself with Seabiscuit. With Unbroken, she tells the story of Louis Zamperini, collegiate and Olympic runner, Army Air Corp bombadier, survivor of 47 days in a life raft and nearly 2 years in Japanese POW camps.

When I told this to a friend, he commented that "now I don't have to read the book, I know how it ends". Nothing could be further from the truth. This is an engrossing tale and a fantastic survival story. Even though I knew from the start the basics of the story, I couldn't put it down. I laughed at Louis' practical jokes, I held my breath as he and his crew mates fought off a Japanese Zero, I cried when men I had come to love died of their wounds, and cried again when an American plan flew low and slow over the POW camp to confirm that the war was over.

Hillenbrand took an amazing story and wrote and amazing book. READ IT!! and then share it with everyone you know! This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I even enjoyed the "Acknowledgements" chapter at the end of the book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.