Sierra Abrams's Reviews > Incarceron

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Now that I’ve read it twice, my positive feelings for this book have only grown stronger. Something that’s a big deal for me in the literature world is reading a book twice in one year. Due to the amount of books that I read and the time I spend on them, plus blogging and writing, I don’t have a whole lot of time to read and re-read and re-re-read. Plus, if I’ve just read a book six months before, I usually still remember the story well enough to not need a reminder.

So I know a book is really really, really good if I can read it twice in one year without second thought. Scarmouche (Rafael Sabatini, a favorite classic and author) was one, and now Incarceron. Incarceron has officially flown up the scale of favorite books, placing itself in my favorite books of all time. Original and one of my favrorite writing styles, it takes you out of the world you feel is “normal”, and gives you a good, long, and thought provoking look at two lives that must endure the strangest kinds of struggles - all in a world that anyone would long to live in while looking from the outside. But on the inside, coming from the people who made it what it is, it is foul and unruly, and those ruling it are only thirsty for power.

Also, Catherine Fisher knows her story. She knows her characters, the worlds they live in, and she’s confident about it. When I’m reading it I can almost smell the air, touch the characters, sense danger and feel comfort and safety. Because Catherine Fisher knows her world. She knows her story. And because of this bold confidence, so can we, in the deepest ways.

It is the story of a boy who is struggling for freedom in a hopeless, wicked world. And it is the story of a girl who is struggling for freedom in a completely different hopeless, wicked world.

It is powerful.

It is alive.

It is Incarceron.

(Oh, and just for the record… Jared is still my favorite character. While last time he was only my favorite character, and that I would want to meet him, now he’s my favorite character and I’d want to marry him. Haha! I’ve definitely fallen in love the second time around… As for the other characters, they were all even more lively than before, especially Finn. Finn took on a greater, more prominent role this time around, for some reason. He was more real to me than ever before. I could picture him perfectly, as though he was standing before me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.

Quotes Sierra Liked

Catherine Fisher
“Only the man who has known freedom
Can define his prison.”

Catherine Fisher
“Underground, the stars are legend.”

“Walls have ears.
Beware the snow.
Beware the man
You think you know.

Catherine Fisher
“All my years to this moment
All my roads to this wall.
All my words to this silence
All my pride to this fall.

Catherine Fisher
“I have walked a stair of swords,
I have worn a coat of scars.
I have vowed with hollow words,
I have lied my way to the stars

Catherine Fisher
“The world is a chessboard, Madam, on which we play out our ploys and follies. You are the Queen, of course. Your moves are the strongest. For myself, I claim only to be a knight, advancing in a crooked progress. Do we move ourselves, do you think, or does a great gloved hand place on our squares”

Catherine Fisher
“Where are the leaders?' Sapphique asked.
'In the fortresses,' the swan replied.
'And the poets?'
'Lost in dreams of other worlds.'
'And the craftsmen?'
'Forging machines to challenge the darkness.'
'And the Wise, who made the world?'
The swan lowered its black neck sadly.
'Dwindled to crones and sorcerers in towers.”

Catherine Fisher
“Despair is deep. An abyss that swallows dreams. A wall at the world's end. Behind it I await death. Because all our work has come to this.”

Catherine Fisher
“I remember a story of a girl in Paradise who ate an apple once. Some wise Sapient gave it to her. Because of it she saw things differently. What had seemed gold coins were dead leaves. Rich clothes were rags of cobweb. And she saw there was a wall around the world, with a locked gate.”

Catherine Fisher
“If it means my death, I don't care, because even death will be a sort of freedom.”

07/10/2014 marked as: currently-reading
07/10/2014 page 30
6.0% "How could I have forgotten how perfect this book is????"
07/11/2014 page 50
11.0% "Jared. I love him so much. SO MUCH."
07/14/2014 page 133
30.0% "Finally motivated to read again. Incarceron, I knew you could do it."
07/24/2014 page 308