Riku Sayuj's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1651956
's review
Feb 04, 2011

really liked it
bookshelves: favorites, booker-winners, india, pop-phil, r-r-rs
Read from May 01 to 07, 2008 — I own a copy , read count: 3

Richard Parker: A True life incident and a major spoiler:

(view spoiler)
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

05/06/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanuj (new)

Tanuj Solanki has it been superseded.


Riku Sayuj Tanuj wrote: "has it been superseded."

long ago :) was an overreaction to the ending...


MomToKippy I don't see the similarity between that incident and Life of Pi. I must be missing something. It is more like The Lifeboat.


Riku Sayuj MomtoKippy wrote: "I don't see the similarity between that incident and Life of Pi. I must be missing something. It is more like The Lifeboat."

Yeah, I guess. I liked the parallels. Haven't read the book you mention.


message 6: by Anirudh (new) - added it

Anirudh Oh but there is a similarity between the two MomtoKippy! Maybe not about what the book meant and what we were supposed to take from it, but the fact that the 'deed' did happen in Life of Pi is hinted at quite clearly(Haven't read the book yet, watched the movie). That is one of the reasons why Suraj (the protagonist) had to embellish/change the story to one that had animals instead of humans because it was too gruesome to be..well..human.

Not sure why you thought there isn't a connection?


Riku Sayuj Anirudh wrote: "Oh but there is a similarity between the two MomtoKippy! Maybe not about what the book meant and what we were supposed to take from it, but the fact that the 'deed' did happen in Life of Pi is hint..."

Thanks for elaborating, Anirudh. I know that many people read the book/story exactly as Pi did - as if the other story did not even exist. Maybe that is also an explanation of why no connection is seen,


message 8: by Anirudh (new) - added it

Anirudh Yup, people end up seeing it as an adventure story rather than the spiritual journey of a boy as it probably is meant to be.


MomToKippy Anirudh wrote: "Oh but there is a similarity between the two MomtoKippy! Maybe not about what the book meant and what we were supposed to take from it, but the fact that the 'deed' did happen in Life of Pi is hint..."

Where does this idea come from that it was changed from humans to animals? I have missed something then. Or is that just a theory?


message 10: by Anirudh (last edited Jun 12, 2014 10:04PM) (new) - added it

Anirudh Again, I am referencing the movie not the book. Maybe the book doesn't really have this as easily deducible.

In the movie, one character says towards the end "So...the hyena is the cook, the orangutan is Pi’s mother, the zebra is the sailor, and Richard Parker is Pi??"

When Pi retells the story to the officials, they at first don't believe this fantastical tale (who would!) so he changes the story (with much anguish showing on his face) by substituting the animals with humans. Now we know that in this version of the story, the 'cook' killed the two other characters (including Pi's mother) to preserve the dwindling food supplies so Pi kills him in return.

It's not shown explicitly, but the parallels between the stories are everywhere and in the animal story the animals (tiger/hyena) ate other animals; in the human story, the cook 'kills' others to save food. It isn't that much a leap I think to deduce that saving food makes a lot less sense and the implied reality is that the cook may have eaten them.

Or maybe like you say MomtoKippy, it's all in my head! :)


MomToKippy Well I don't find any allusion to this in the book but perhaps I am taking it too literally. The family runs a zoo and takes the animals on the ship that then sinks and he ends up with animals on his raft. I am sure it could be all symbolic but I never had that feeling reading the book. Have you read the book?


message 12: by Riku (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riku Sayuj MomtoKippy wrote: "Well I don't find any allusion to this in the book but perhaps I am taking it too literally. The family runs a zoo and takes the animals on the ship that then sinks and he ends up with animals on ..."

MK, maybe you should look at the ending again. It is the most exciting thing about the book, without which what is there to make it even remotely worthy of a booker? It is quite clear that there are two stories.


MomToKippy I will thanks, however I think it is an amazing book with or without the symbolism. I am sorry that I have a different opinion than you.


message 14: by Anirudh (new) - added it

Anirudh It isn't even symbolism as it's almost stated that 'choose the story you like' out of the two. But, as you say, all that matters is that you enjoy it and the experience should be worthwhile; which it was for you. Cheers!


message 15: by Riku (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riku Sayuj Anirudh wrote: "It isn't even symbolism as it's almost stated that 'choose the story you like' out of the two. But, as you say, all that matters is that you enjoy it and the experience should be worthwhile; whi..."

More like 'see which story you choose and then examine your choice' :)


message 16: by Anirudh (new) - added it

Anirudh Agreed! :)


message 17: by £lizabeth (new) - added it

£lizabeth Great review Riku Sayuj :)


back to top