Q_Barb's Reviews > My Name Is Yoon

My Name Is Yoon by Helen Recorvits

F 50x66
With a Surrealism style of illustration, this story tells the story of a young girl from South Korea learning to like her new language, school, new home in America. This would be a great addition to a text set on young immigrants thoughts, feeling and experiences adjusting to their new home, as told through their school experience. Good companions would be "The Color of Home" by Mary Hoffman about a young Muslim boy who is forced to flee war-torn Somali with his family after their houses is set on fire and his uncle murdered, and tells his story through his paintings in class; "Painted Words/Spoken Memories" by Aliki about a young girl who immigrates with her parents from a small poor village in Greece (I think) and tells her story first through art and then through speech; and "The Upside Down Boy",
Juan Felipe Herrera's memoir of the year his migrant family settled down so that he could go to school for the first time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Yoon.

message 1: by L11-Sharri (last edited Feb 26, 2011 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

L11-Sharri Moses I noticed you gave this book four stars. I enjoyed this book as well, and I think the pictures are beautiful and moving. I appreciate Yoon’s strength and honesty about how she did not like writing in English. She misses Korea and thinks her name written in Korean “looks happier.” This also reminds me of some of my Kindergarten students that are not ready to give up writing their name in all capital letters. They feel confident writing with those capital letters and are just not sure about switching to lower case letters.

Lindsey I read this too! Barb, way to name the illustration style. I think you are right on. I noticed they were unique in their perspective, but I couldn't quite put a name to it. Also, Sharri, great connection about students wanting to write in all-caps. I have a specific memory of my cousin writing his name, Leo, with symbols inside of the "holes" in the e and o. I, as a bossy 6-year-old, informed him that this was WRONG, but looking back on it that way of writing may have been part of his identity, ownership, and pride in learning to write independently. Interesting.