lconnor's Reviews > The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

F 50x66
Feb 04, 2011

The Bourne Identity is a 1980 spy fiction thriller novel by Robert Ludlum about a retrograde amnesiac who must discover who he is and why several groups, including an assassin and the CIA, are trying to kill him. It is the first of the original Bourne Trilogy by Ludlum. Reading Ludlum novels is like a roller coaster ride in that the ride is exciting all the way to the end. Of course, as soon as the Borne Supremacy was published, 1986, I had to read it. I waited in line to get the Bourne Ultimatum in 1990. By this time, I had read several of his earlier works, including the The Matlock Paper, in which a solitary protagonist comes face to face with a massive criminal conspiracy.
Haven’t read all 25 books, but the ones I’ve read tend to have a vision of the world where global corporations, shadowy military forces and government organizations conspire to undermine the status quo. This "vision" tends to make some of the novels very similar, so it may be hard to remember which book you've read and which one you haven't read. I do not mind re-reads. I like Ludlum as an author. One of his quotes: "I equate suspense and good theatre in a very similar way. I think it's all suspense and what-happens-next."

I would rate every one of the Robert Ludlum books I’ve read as four star or better.

Ludlum died in 2001 Subsequent to his death, books written by other authors have carried the phrase Robert Ludlum on their covers, thus asserting the name Robert Ludlum. The actual author (not technically a ghost writer) is identified inside.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bourne Identity.

Mary I loved this book too! Ludlum is one of my favorites!