Vera Marie's Reviews > The Crying Tree

The Crying Tree by Naseem Rakha

Feb 04, 2011

Read in January, 2011

Sometimes experienced non-fiction writers stumble when they turn to fiction. Naseem Rakha covered executions as a journalist. That experience moved her to write a book about the impact of murder and punishment. In The Crying Tree she tells her story eloquently  with graceful introduction to complex subjects, believable characters we care about, and realistic American settings.

When it was time for me to read this book, a horrendous tragedy had happened in Tucson--the mass murder of six people, including a nine-year-old-child. Then I opened The Crying Tree, which begins with the murder of a young boy (15, not 9). I was not sure I could continue. I was reeling because I knew the Member of Congress who was wounded in Tucson, and the scene of the crime was a shopping center I frequent.

But before long, I was hooked. The story was particularly timely. The father works in law enforcement in Illinois, and announces to his wife one day that they are leaving her family home to move across the country to Oregon. In the new location, their son is killed in an apparent random robbery.

The story swings between the prison in Oregon and Illinois, over the 19-year period that it takes to carry out the death sentence on the confessed killer. In the Oregon prison, we see how waiting for the execution affects the killer, but also the effect it has on the warden of the prison. In Illinois, we read about the mother's spiral into depression and alcoholism after the family moves back  home to Illinois. I cared about all of them, because Rakha made me care as she unravels family secrets and shows the road from wanting revenge to forgiveness.

It would be so easy to slip into polemic with a book like this, but the author resists the temptation. Her use of language is exquisite, and I loved the author's note where she thanks Aaron Copeland "for creating music that inspired many scenes in this book." If Copeland can help create  wonderful scene settings like  in this book, then all authors had best run out and buy CDs of Copeland.

If you are not familiar with southern Illinois before reading this book, you will see much that is new.  If you assume that Oregon is all beautiful coast line and the city of Portland, you'll learn about a distressed small town. That qualifies this for the traveler's library--particularly for one not attuned to rural and small town America.

Follow this link if you would like to see some interesting video interviews with the author.

Original review at A Traveler's Library.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crying Tree.