Em's Reviews > The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga

Sep 08, 14

bookshelves: to-read
Read in January, 2011

Nora's Review: I know this book is kind of old (well, like five years old or something), but I kept hearing so much about it that I felt the need to pick it up. The title is great, and seems to promise some romance etc…and I naively thought it would be something along the lines of Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist. It is not.

Not that it isn’t a great book – it is. I think it really captures the voice of an alienated and bullied adolescent who is also trying to be a good person and just get through high school. It is just that Fanboy kind of annoyed me the entire time.

1. He is really whiny and complains all the time.

2. His whole fantasy of showing his graphic novel to an author at a comic book convention and being “discovered” is kind of dumb. I mean, how easy is it to google “how to publish a graphic novel”. I know Fanboy only had dial-up and it was 2005, but still…

3. The obsession with the hot perfect girl at school is kind of lame. Fanboy gets some credit for finding Goth Girl attractive (well, post seeing her big boobs), but come on. Why would someone like Fanboy want anything to do with the mainstream, wine-cooler-drinking “senior goddess” Dina Jurgens? I never found football-jock types attractive in high school. At least Goth Girl is with me on this one.

I want to read Goth Girl Rising (the sequel from Goth Girl’s point of view), as I think I will relate to it much more.

The book is hilarious, and really addresses a lot of serious stuff in an interesting way. I think plenty of people will love it – I just feel the need to complain about the whole nerdy-boy obsessed with hot popular girl trope. The only example of a nerdy, interesting girl going for a boringly popular guy I can think of is the beloved film Pretty In Pink. Plus in the original ending Andie chooses Duckie over Blane, but test audiences didn’t like it. Argh.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl.

09/08/2014 marked as: to-read

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Pola I really love your reviews! And how nice that you break it down numerically here! Cheers!