Camille's Reviews > Beside Still Waters

Beside Still Waters by Tricia Goyer

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: kindle, lendable, books-i-own, 4-and-a-half-stars, group-reads, amish-fiction, paper-copy, autographed
Read from October 25 to 26, 2011

And now back to the Amish fiction!

Today I have

Beside Still Waters by Tricia Goyer

Beside Still Waters by Tricia Goyer is the first book in the Big Sky Series that Tricia Goyer has recently released.

We follow the main character, Marianna, who was born on a night of tragedy. Her family was hit by a semi-truck in her buggy. Her two older sisters were killed and her mother went into premature labor and had her.

Her whole life Marianna has grown up feeling less than she can be. She isn't an adequate replacement for the two sisters her mother lost, and she feels like her mother has loved her less because she is a reminder of the loss every day.

Marianna finally has her chance to get baptized and marry Aaron Zook when her family announces they will be moving away to Montana, away from everything she knows. While she is aware her family doesn't like staying where she grew up because of the reminder of the accident, and the fact that her older brother has left the church and lives nearby is another pain to her parents every day. Also, her mother is with child and her parents just feel she needs to be away from their tragic past in order to be safe in giving birth.

Against her wishes, Marianna agrees to go to Montana for 6 months until her mother gives birth and is acclimated to the new baby. All she really wants is to return back home and to get to know Aaron better and see the house he is building for their future.

Her move to Montana is challenging to say the least, but she can see a positive change in her mother. She cannot avoid the English world as easily now though because in Montana the cultures are so much more mixed, and Marianna wants to be sure to avoid their influence, but she cannot help but take notice of Ben, an English boy, who has some bad secrets in his past, just as Marianna has in hers...

When she gets the chance to return home again and leave Montana behind, what will Marianna choose?

Read Beside Still Waters to find out!

I absolutely loved this book. It intrigued me, it was beautiful, and it was understandable to feel what she was going through. As a young woman I could see how Marianna felt she was leaving her entire future behind to move to Montana, but I appreciated her understanding of how important family is, enough that she was willing to be away from Aaron for six months in order to fulfill her family obligations.

I would definitely say this is much more unique than Amish fiction, and I also love that the series continues with the same main characters into the next book rather than entirely wrapping up Marianna's story and then featuring another main character in the next book.

I am excited to jump into Along Wooded Paths as soon as I possibly can!

4.5 out of 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beside Still Waters.