Camille's Reviews > Fall from Pride

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: 4-stars, amish-fiction, mystery, net-galley-reviews
Read from October 13 to 19, 2011

Fall From Pride by Karen Harper

I graciously received a review copy of this book from NetGalley. I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just an honest one.

Fall From Pride by Karen Harper is set in Home Valley in a small Amish town. Sarah Kauffman has received permission from the elders to paint quilt squares on the sides of barns in Home Valley in order to help boost the tourist trade. But not all the Amish are on board with her paintings as they are considered by some to be "just for pretty," something which is not allowed in the Amish community.

To Sarah's horror, barns with her paintings begin to get set on fire. Who is the arsonist, or arsonists after? Her because of her paintings? The elders whose barns she painted on, and it's merely a coincidence that the barns have her paintings on them?

An arson investigator is sent in by the state, Nate MacKenzie, but he is an auslander, an outsider. He has to try to gain the trust of the Amish in order to investigate what he assumes will be a simple arson case. But suddenly he has a myriad of suspects, but nothing concrete to go on. And it doesn't help that his "Amish translator," Sarah, is very attractive to him...

Will Nate be able to solve the mystery? And is it as Sarah fears the most, someone Amish, who has been starting the fires? Or is it just someone who hates them? But . . . why?

Read Fall From Pride to find out!

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that I love Amish fiction and I love mysteries. So mixing the two is generally a bonus for me!

I was definitely not able to guess who was responsible for the fires. It took me by surprise. I love a mystery like that! It was also hard for me to put the book down! I read through it in only a few days! It was very intriguing.

Of course there was the added element of a budding romance. I would have to say that the ending of that romance (i.e., how it turned out) was probably my least favorite thing in the book. I won't say what Sarah decides to do in regards to Nate, but I thought that it was a very tough decision she had to make: choosing him and facing shunning, or choosing her people and leaving love behind. I wanted to see more about how she came to the decision instead of just what the decision was. It also seemed like the decision she made was way easier than, I think, such a decision would actually be.

I look forward to the next book in the series!

4 out of 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall from Pride.

10/13/2011 page 39