Antof9's Reviews > Scumble

Scumble by Ingrid Law

Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, charming, fathers, kidlit, liberry
Read in February, 2011

"Scumble" is a great sequel to "Savvy"! I got it yesterday and finished it before going to sleep, it was so good. I was kind of "meh" on the beginning, but once it got going, I really liked it. It's good. Really, really good. And if it bothered you that Rocket was sort of ...banished in "Savvy", you'll like this even better :)

This is just a fun story. It's a fun family, it's a fun premise ... it's just fun. I feel about these books the way I did about the Littles and the Borrowers when I was in 3rd grade - I really, really wanted to see them in my dollhouse! If I were just a year or two older than that, I'd love to imagine having a Beaumont as a friend.

Anyway, I read this because one of my many book clubs read the first book (thanks Stacy!), and when we met, Stacy told us how the author had come to talk to her school, and she liked her, and there was a second book. So here it is, and it didn't disappoint.

One of the things we talked about at book club was how the author makes up words or gives existing words a different meaning. I'm not sure I'm crazy about that, but otherwise, I'm a fan. At this point, I'd read anything this author wrote, AND I even started at her picture on the back flyleaf because it says she lives in Colorado and if I ran into her, I'd tell her I'm a fan :)

Perhaps more importantly, though, I'm going to recommend these two books to my 6th grade neighbor and my 6th grade nephew. They both have the same problem - reading comprehension beyond their grade level, and wanting to read stuff where the content is too grownup. I think they'll both like these. I hope :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scumble.