Shanley's Reviews > How to Be a Better Restaurant Customer: Stop Sabotaging Your Own Dining Experiences

How to Be a Better Restaurant Customer by Marta Daniels

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: first-reads

** spoiler alert ** Won a free copy from Goodreads First-Reads...

This is a difficult review to write. I understand that every book is someone's labor of love. I also realize that this book is very much an outpouring of someone's very personal experiences, feelings, and opinions.

But, in the sprit of First-Reads, I offer my own opinion from the perspective of a reader.

I felt uncomfortable as the reader. I was constantly being put down, scolded, and patronized. The book presents situations where "you" (read: I) did inappropriate things at a restaurant that induced a lengthy scolding and personal attack. It did not make for an educational or pleasurable read; page after page, "you" (I) was accused of doing something wrong, and then receiving the unfiltered verbal beating that could not be given to the real offender.
I stopped reading after chapter 8.

I believe that the author does have a lot of frustration about the people she encounters in restaurants. I feel for the author and I hope that it was healing to release stress by writing this book.

This book may be better targeted to other restaurant servers who share similar frustrations and experiences, and who would identify with the situations depicted in the book, and would take pleasure and share in the author's reactions and after-the-fact responses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Better Restaurant Customer.