Agnes's Reviews > Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Life

Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir

Apr 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: plantagenets, medieval, non-fiction

I picked up this book to learn about a period in history and a woman I knew absolutely nothing about.

I found this to be more of an introduction to 12th century France and England, rather than a biography of Eleanor. At times, any mention of her would disappear for pages, and the focus would shift to her husbands and sons instead. Nonetheless, I certainly didn't mind reading about Louis VII, Henry II, Richard, and John!

This book left me fascinated with the time period and it sparked my interested in medieval fiction, leading me to discover many wonderful writers, especially Sharon Kay Penman and Elizabeth Chadwick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Mike Dixon This book is nor written to the high standards that I expect from Alison Weir. The content is interesting but often bady presented. I wonder how much was ghost written. Di she even see some of the pages?

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara I am also fascinated with Eleanor...I think the best books to read is the series written by Sharon Kay penman.