Marc's Comics's Reviews > Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1

Superman by Kurt Busiek

Feb 04, 11

Read in February, 2011

Busiek does an admirable job of mixing 70's-style fun with modern storytelling, but this first part is fairly inconsistent. Superman heads to Kazakhstan to battle a monster named Subjekt-17, who is a not very interesting Doomsday-lite (He was experimented on! He keeps getting stronger! He speaks in fragments!). It almost seems like Busiek got bored with him as well, because he is rapidly dismissed to make way for the second part of the story (my apologies if Subjekt-17 shows up in Vol. 2) which fares a little better. Much in the same vein of Grant Morrison's Rock of Ages story in JLA, the next few parts show a survived Atlantean sorcerer named Arion present a possible future where everyone is destroyed and it's "all Superman's fault", as he tries to get Superman to just let evil win for once, because otherwise it'll keep building up and get worse and worse. Not that anyone expects Superman to give up.

These ideas have been done before, but God help me, I can't resist a post-apocalyptic story, and there were certainly neat little touches here and there. There is a really neat usage of the Parasite, and it leads to some good stuff between him and Lois. Overall, I don't really get a sense of urgency here, and I think it's because the villains are kind of stupid. I'll check out the second volume - maybe things pick up a bit.

The art is great. I've always liked Carlos Pacheco, and his storytelling is clean and bright, with a few spectacular spreads of the possible future ruins of Metropolis. His designs of Subjekt-17 and the ultimate baddy Khyber (gah, these names!) don't particularly help the aforementioned villain lameness, but overall he does good work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.