Cow's Reviews > La cité maudite

La cité maudite by Elodie Tirel

May 17, 2011

bookshelves: français, young-adult, spec-fic
Read from February 04 to May 17, 2011 — I own a copy

A quick caveat: this four-star rating is for what the book is, not overall. In other words, it very much beat my expectations.

I'm learning French. One of the ways I do this, especially to build vocabulary, is to read novels. I'm at about a middle-school reading level in French, so I read young adult fiction. It both helps with learning and scratches that itch for trashy teen fantasy literature.

But imagine my surprise when this wasn't just that! It's actually a fun book. I loved R.A. Salvatore's drow novels as a teenager (they're so bad now! but I was 13!) and Élodie Tirel is basically playing off that universe, with some names changed. (Not all. Lloth is still Lloth; Ellistraee is still Ellistraee; drow are still drow. Menzoberranzan is now Rhasgarrok. Etc.) But these aren't translations; they're new tales.

And they're well-written! They're actually fun little adventures. And our main character, Luna, has her own cute slang instead of cursewords («Cornedruille!» «bigrevert!» to name a few). And her constant way of showing up Darkhan's condescension (he sees her as a sweet, innocent, lost child; she's none of the three) was extra fun.

I'm definitely looking forward to digging into book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La cité maudite.