Leigh's Reviews > I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal Rose

Feb 04, 2011

Read from February 04 to 05, 2011

**slight spoilers**

O.M.Fucking.Goodness!!!! This book was fan-fucking-tastic!!! 5+ stars hands down!

There are so many things I loved about this book, I do not even know where to begin.

Never having been a big fan of military movies, I began this book with some trepidation, not knowing if I could really get into with it starting in boot camp, but it didn't take long for me to get over that. The friendships formed during this time were both just beautiful and hilarious. I loved Ryan (aka Freckles) and getting his view on things. What a wonderful character he was. And then to see that Drill Sgt. Grabowski getting the hots for him....oh, that was HAWT!!

Boot camp finished about 40% into the book, and then the e-mail correspondence between the platoon friends began, and they were LOL HILARIOUS! Then Phillip Grabowski was added into the mix. They span the course of ~5 years, and they were great!

Then we get to current assignments, Ryan is stationed at Fort Hood, and quess what??? So is Grabowski. I really enjoyed up thru boot camp, but after that, and especially from this point forward, I LOVED this book and couldn't put it down! So many relationships were developed and touched upon in the remainder of the book. Past Drill Sergeants became friends AND lovers, and I love, love, LOVED watching the relationship grow between Ryan and Phillip. I also especially loved Patrick and Mark, as well as Sandy and Phillip's family (their undying love and support were just beautiful!). ALL of the characters were really just amazing and their interactions were awesome. Oh, and Sandy and Tory (and Alexander) were just too fucking funny with all of their comments about getting turned on by watching two hot gay men go at it! FABULOUS!!

Throughout this book, I laughed out loud, I got hot and bothered (what a first kiss!), laughed some more, got more hot and bothered (after boot camp graduation ceremony...'nuf said!), totally laughed my fucking ass off, got teary, got more hot and bothered (after the Ball...phew!), laughed, cried, cried, cried and LMFuckingAO w/ the Christmas/New Year's correspondence, laughed and cried some more. This book ran me the full gamut of emotions, and I cherished every one of them.

The ending was perfect, and had me crying again. The relationship developed between Ryan and Phillip was truly amazing. It was wonderful to see them fall for each and fight for each other. It was so good to see more to their relationship...attraction, a date (FINALLY!), talking, getting to know each other. That is so rare to see such development in a single book, so it was a welcome addition.

Lastly, while I have always supported and been thankful for our troops, this truly opened my eyes to that and showed me so much more that goes on outside of the public's view. This book has given me a much stronger appreciation for all the men and women who so wonderfully serve our country and fight for our freedom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier.

Quotes Leigh Liked

“It would figure the best looking guy on this ward is gay...and he has a sexier than sin boyfriend...I swear to God I'm going to turn into a man. It's the only way".”
Crystal Rose, I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
tags: humor

“Now wait a second..." Kenneth butted in.
"Yeah, we haven't asked you the questions yet," Brandon finished for Kenneth.
"Yeah, like what are your intentions toward our little Ryan," Patrick added, smirking.
"What do you do for a living?" Brandon added.
"Can you support Ryan's shoe fetish?" Kenneth threw his question in too.
"Hmm, okay, here are my answers. I plan on feeding him, dancing with him and God willing fucking him until he can't walk straight. I help infertile chickens have baby chickens, and I think so. I'm hoping his feet are about my size. We can share shoes and everything," Phillip answered.”
Crystal Rose, I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier

02/05/2011
47.0% ""-prove it""

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide Let me know what you think about this one. I've heard a lot of good stuff and if the good reviews keep coming in I might have to move it up on my list!!

Leigh will do, Jessa! it wasn't on my TBR soon list, but 4 of my close friends just read it and RAVED about it, so i figured "why not?" i started last night, and i'm up to 47%. it's really great so far! VERY funny, very sexy, and it looks like things might start getting even better!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide Okay...I'm convinced! I'm reading Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt right now and tomorrow I'll be busy with a Super Bowl party and then its back to work for the week. Hmm...so I'll plan on reading it first thing next weekend! I'm excited!!

Leigh OMG...i just finished it. it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!! 5+ stars!!

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Excellent review Leigh!!

Leigh thanks, Rhonda! you've gotta check it out when you have a chance!

message 7: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Leigh wrote: "thanks, Rhonda! you've gotta check it out when you have a chance!"

I'm not much into the M/M thing, I guess because the only one I ever tried to read, one of the guys was such a wuss, so I never tried them again. But I marked it!!

Leigh yeah - this one is definitely not like that! there's a little sub/dom going on at one point, but none of the guys are wusses, not at all. it was really just fabulous!

message 9: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Leigh wrote: "yeah - this one is definitely not like that! there's a little sub/dom going on at one point, but none of the guys are wusses, not at all. it was really just fabulous!"

Thanks Girl!!!!

Leigh yep yep!! anytime! ;)

message 11: by Taryn (new)

Taryn This sounds good.....but is it m/m?

Leigh Hey, Taryn - yep, it's m/m, but OMG, it's a beautiful story!

message 13: by Taryn (new)

Taryn It sounds like it! Is this the one that you won?

Leigh Nope - that one I started in May and still havent finished. LOL! This was HIGHLY recommended by a couple of friends, and damn if they weren't spot on about how good it was!