David's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, read-in-2011, ya-mg, fiction
Read from March 05 to 07, 2011

I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. Dystopian YA is starting to become dime-a-dozen, and the reviews here were average at best. Nevertheless, thanks to the strength of Oliver's Before I Fall, I decided to give it a chance, and overall, I think it was worthwhile.

The Matched-meets-Uglies comparison is spot-on. I found both of those average, but I think Oliver's writing style is what pushes this into readable territory instead of the 'quick read but marginally enjoyable' those 2 reach (I did not continue the Uglies series past the initial book and don't plan on continuing with Matched, but we'll see).

What made this for me was seeing Lena as she was 'infected' by love and experiencing each of the 'symptoms' detailed by the government with total self-realization of what was going on. Also liked that this was dystopian, but not heavy on the crazy sci-fi elements. Teens are operated on and cities are all heavily sectioned off, but in day-to-day life not much is different from how we live now.

Also really liked the Hana character, Lena's best friend. Hope she stays in the story as we move on to the next novel in the series. I could see that one falling back into Matched etc. territory, but I'll at least give it a chance.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.