Chris's Reviews > Shadow Knights: The Secret War Against Hitler

Shadow Knights by Gary Kamiya

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: history-english, history-ww-ii, history-france, history-spies-and-plots
Read from February 04 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

I heard about this book from two sources. One was an ad in the History Book Club, and the second was a long article in The New York Times. That article reported that the creators of Pulp History wanted to get mnore people intersted in history and decidied to do so by making it "pulp". For some reason, I got it into my head that it was a graphic novel. It isn't. It is an illustrated history.

Shadow Knights focuses on the British S.O.E, highlighting the role of Noor Khan, a group working in Norway, and Harry Ree. The inclusion of the Norway group was good because it shifted the interst further than simply France, where much Resistance novels or histories seem to be concerned.

In addition to focusing on the three stories, Kamiya also includes sidebars about various sub topics (the S.O.E. had manufactured exploding turds; the debate over whether the agents were scarificed and so on). The book includes a detailed further reading/reference list at the end.

It is true, as another review has pointed out, that the book does drag a bit in places. Yet, the stories are compelling told and the book even offers an examination of the morality of the S.O.E. While the writing style is friendly to teens, it is also friendly to adults.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Knights.