Melindeeloo's Reviews > Primal

Primal by Lora Leigh

Feb 05, 11

Read on February 04, 2011

A diverse collection of authors and stories- mild and hot, naughty and nice

Primal instincts fuel many of the love connections in this collection which pulls together four stories that vary greatly in sensuality, as well as showcasing a pretty diverse group of authors. Most of the stories are related to the authors' series - Rowen's and Gray's standalone pretty well - Leigh's requires at least some familiarity with her Breeds, and Strong is a new to me author, so I am not sure about whether or not it fits in with her other books.

Bleeding Heart by Michelle Rowen ~*~ A woman now carries a deadly drug in her blood. The drug turns vampires to ash with just a taste, but it is also slowly killing her, so she and her dhampyr ally are hoping to find a cure. ~*~ This first story is a short connected to Rowen's new Nightshade series - it was the mildest of the romances and an interesting tease to Rowen's new series - in which she has supposedly left her trademark humor behind - it does fall in time after the first book, so I suspect it may be mildly spoilerish if you plan on reading Nightshade.

Skin & Bone by Ava Gray ~*~ When an earthquake hits in Ecuador, a man with much to atone for saves a woman caught under the rubble and finally finds someone who doesn't fear him, a woman who sees him as a hero instead of the monster he considers himself to be. ~*~ Connected to Gray's 'Skin' series, this was my favorite of the stories, I really liked both of the leads: the huge scary man who can be so gentle, and the free spirited woman who finally finds a connection she's willing to keep.

Angel Claimed by Jory Strong ~*~ An immortal seeks to reclaim the woman he lost centuries ago, despite his dreams of how their reunion will play out, he will not simply force her to submit to his claim but will first help her to keep a vow to the vampire family she is bound to. ~*~ I liked this one the least of the stories, the world building is interesting but confusing and I am not really into the dominance stuff (whipping, spanking, bondage). There are angels, djinn and vampires, this is my first story by this author so it may be connected to her other stories.

Primal Kiss by Lora Leigh ~*~ Breed enforcer Creed is undercover protecting the daughter of one of the Breed's enemies, she's a potential pawn just waiting to be used - by the Breeds or by their enemies - to force her father's cooperation. But Creed's priorities may well be tested if - as he has come to suspect - she is his mate. ~*~ My sense of this one is that if you follow the Breeds there is a revelation tied to the series arc that you will not want to miss. For me, I've read all of Leigh's stories in anthologies but only a few of her novels, so this didn't end up supplanting my favorite Breed short (I liked the one in Magical Christmas Cat the best), since - and I can't believe I am saying this - there was too much story and not enough of the romance even though there is still plenty of hot clenching, drenching, and throbbing for those who like Leigh's more explicit love scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Primal.