Maciek's Reviews > S@motność w Sieci

S@motność w Sieci by Janusz Leon Wiśniewski
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2969647
's review
Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: polska-polka, reviewed

I read this when it first came out and still remember how goofy it was. It's a love story written by a man(!). But it's not just that. The author is a doctor of economy, IT and physics(!) and has a PHD in chemistry. How educated is that?
Sadly it also speaks volumes about the book, which is one big cliche. It's about two people - a man and a woman - who fall in love by talking on ICQ. The man is an expert in genetic, and the woman is some rich broad who starts to cheat on her husband with this dude. Since we obviously all have nothing better to do than read the love adventures of two boring people who don't have to work and are so stacked on cash that they're unhappy we might as well give this a shot. FAIL. There are tons of pages related to genetics (which is the profession of the protagonist...and obviously a hobby of the author) and that's pretty much it. The concept is interesting (a long distance relationship) but the two lovers are so mindnumbingly boring. Not just the guy, the woman is even worse. If you think that a man who holds a PHD in everything understands how women think and act - well, let's say you're mistaken. Poorly written erotica is the least of his problems.
To sum up - this book is quite an achievement, because it made love sound so completely boring. I only gave it two stars because there's this subplot which involves a beautiful deaf girl, but it too is cliched and mercifully short.
12 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read S@motność w Sieci.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan's (new) - added it

Dan's Obsessions Well now, this review, just made me reconsider... U see I am becoming a majore Gentic buff recently.. and if this book is centered on these ideas (f.i. how men become attracted in women on a biologic basis) or even if it is remotely connected to premises found on ~red Queen~by M Ridley , that would really make my day.. So any of these notion, embody this work pls let me know.


Maciek I remember this being a rather bad romance novel - with more focus on the developing IT. Not much factual information to be learned from it!


message 3: by Kinga (new)

Kinga It annoys me to no end when they describe him as 'connoisseur of women'. First of all, women are not fucking wine. Get the fuck out.

Also: he UNDERSTANDS women.

What the fuck to the fuck? I mean, what are we? Quantum physics? We are not some sort of theory you can just understand. We are people. We love, we hate, we are hungry.

But because in this book the male character asks about the woman's menstruation cycle and empathise with her cramps all of a sudden he understands women. Get the fuck out, seriously.

And in this book, the narrator's (obviously author's alter ego) biggest love was a deaf woman (yeah, she must have been deaf to be able to put up with his inane shit-chatting), who THEN got leukemia. But then our narrator moved the sun and the earth and manage to find billions of dollars to send her to a clinic in Ukraine (?!) to cure her. And she was about to me be cured but unfortunately she got hit by an excavator and died. WHILE SHE WAS RESCUING A CHILD!

For real. I'm not even making this shit up.

Also, you will be please to learn that this book has been translated to Vietnamese. And currently is probably the only Polish book available in Vietnamese. I think it was some masterful plot by the government to stop Vietnamese immigration because I'm sure any Vietnamese who was considering moving to Poland to join on our vibrant Vietnamese community upon reading this masterpiece would be like: No, fuck that, I'm staying in Hanoi.


message 4: by Kinga (new)

Kinga This was the worst book I have read in my entire life and this comes from a person who has read a book by Paulo Coelho.


message 5: by Dan's (new) - added it

Dan's Obsessions K wrote: This was the worst book I have read in my entire life and this comes ."

Well now what can I say I am a little bit astonished, this book seems to be really worthless after-all, (a fact tht i didnt manage to get over those dozen of reviews) and at least U satisfied my curiosity [this is 1 of 3 books I tracked down in English Eds form Polish]

* Err what did U mean on the last paragraph of your previous post___? Α vibrant Vietnamese community.. surely this is a made up fact..

Anyways this is probably a response on the line of.., I am improvising on the go.. About coello is he really tht bad, I do know tht every female member in my family has / will keep on reading him, but actually I got no clue!!!


Maciek Kinga wrote: "It annoys me to no end when they describe him as 'connoisseur of women'. First of all, women are not fucking wine. Get the fuck out.

Also: he UNDERSTANDS women.

What the fuck to the fuck? I mean, what are we? Quantum physics? We are not some sort of theory you can just understand. We are people. We love, we hate, we are hungry.

But because in this book the male character asks about the woman's menstruation cycle and empathise with her cramps all of a sudden he understands women. Get the fuck out, seriously."


Yeah, preach it girl! Seriously. I've always been irritated by people being praised for being able to convincingly write characters of the opposite gender. I felt that it dumbed down people down to their sex - and nothing else. I admire writers who write convincing people - men, women, children and adults.

Kinga wrote: "And in this book, the narrator's (obviously author's alter ego) biggest love was a deaf woman (yeah, she must have been deaf to be able to put up with his inane shit-chatting), who THEN got leukemia. But then our narrator moved the sun and the earth and manage to find billions of dollars to send her to a clinic in Ukraine (?!) to cure her. And she was about to me be cured but unfortunately she got hit by an excavator and died. WHILE SHE WAS RESCUING A CHILD!

For real. I'm not even making this shit up.


LOL!! I forgot how bad it was. Thank you for reminding me - I had a laugh!

Kinga wrote: "Also, you will be please to learn that this book has been translated to Vietnamese. And currently is probably the only Polish book available in Vietnamese. I think it was some masterful plot by the government to stop Vietnamese immigration because I'm sure any Vietnamese who was considering moving to Poland to join on our vibrant Vietnamese community upon reading this masterpiece would be like: No, fuck that, I'm staying in Hanoi.

That sucks! Now the Vietnamese will think that this crap is an important part of our literature since it got translated into their language. Seriously, this book is like some Latin American TV soap on crack!

Kinga wrote: "This was the worst book I have read in my entire life and this comes from a person who has read a book by Paulo Coelho.

That's a bold statement but I can definitely see where you're coming from. At least Coelho is a nice down to earth guy (who also lets his books be downloaded for free on the web! Can you name any other big name author who does that?) while Wisniewski always struck me as a terrible snob and uptight person.


Maciek Dan's wrote: "* Err what did U mean on the last paragraph of your previous post___? Α vibrant Vietnamese community.. surely this is a made up fact..
"


There's a vibrant Vietnamese community in Poland - made of between 40,000 to 70,000 people, making it the third largest Vietnamese community in Europe after France and Germany. The Vietnamese live mostly in big cities where they often have their own businesses, and are some of the nicest people that you can meet in this country.


message 8: by Kinga (last edited Apr 15, 2013 12:01AM) (new)

Kinga Third ? I read we were second! When did the French overtake us damn it?

The government ploy is working!!


Maciek The French don't have a book as bad as this one, so that's why they did it. LOL!


message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam If you think that a man who holds a PHD in everything understands how women think and act - well, let's say you're mistaken.

Having gone to grad school, I can attest that it is just the opposite -- studying for a PhD takes so much time that it retards people's social development. Also, the fields you mention the author studying tend to have few women students (at least in the US, maybe it is more equal in Poland).


Maciek Thank you, Miriam! Actually, I'm not sure what the ratio would be here - I think the rates might be mixed here, with women and men being more or less equally represented. What is also bad about this book is the fact that the author tried to showcase his knowledge instead of creating interesting characters, and painted his woman as some mysterious creature whose behavior and personality was forever shrouded behind some kind of veil. At least that's what I remember of it - it's been a while since I read it.


message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Sounds awful. Sadly, I think many men continue to envision women as a sort of mysterious foreign species, rather than as individuals.


Maciek I agree - how can you see half the human race as some mysterious creatures beyond your reach of understanding?


message 14: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I wonder if men who think that don't really understand other men, either, but just assume the other men think the same as themselves? I suppose if you didn't have close friends or intimate conversations about personal matters and just talked about work you could go a long time without noticing the differences.


Maciek That's a good point. Some authors who live a sheltered life are unable to create realistic characters simply because they do not have regular contact with regular people - they have to think up what their characters think and how they would act, often to poor results.


back to top