Maldivianbookreviewer's Reviews > The Last Goodbye

The Last Goodbye by Sarah Mayberry

4201191
4.5 Stars Harlequin Super Romance

Sarah Mayberry delivers on all accounts once again with this Harlequin Super Romance letting faithful readers of her delightful stories know that she definitely is an author that should remain on your auto-buy list when it comes to a good dose of contemporary romance, which just happens to be my favorite genre of romance. I have been keeping a close eye on the release date of this book since Harlequin always tends to release its books much earlier than the designated release date and it was just by chance that I happened to stumble upon this book, ready for download on the Harlequin website yesterday. Needless to say, 7 pages in, I was hooked line and sinker and nearly snarled in frustration every time something or the other took me away from the magic that Sarah Mayberry has woven with this beautiful story.

37 year old Tyler Adamson, owner of the largely successful T. A. Furniture Designs is a man haunted and tortured by the unpleasant memories of his childhood at the hands of his emotionally and physically abusive father Robert Adamson (Bob). Tyler and his elder brother Jon had never had a happy moment to reflect back upon and Tyler had followed in Jon’s footsteps and left home when he had barely turned 17 years old. It had only been a sense of guilt and obligation that had made Tyler visit his home in Woodend, a small Victorian town when his mother was alive. The day she had died, Tyler had said goodbye to his father as well and never looked back, until Ally walks into his life, all rightful indignation forcing Tyler to face the demons of his past.

33 year old Ally Bishop is a nomad at heart. Commitment phobic to the extreme, Ally is the unwanted child of an artist who had always been free spirited and flitted from one place to the other. Ally’s mother had discovered the fact that she was pregnant with Ally when it had been too late to do anything about the unwanted pregnancy. Ally had grown up, never having known her father with a mother who had been really too selfish to stop and think about the needs of a child and it had been up to Ally to mold herself even as a child into her mother’s lifestyle which has left its own sort of emotional scars on Ally. The author of the Dear Gertude column in the Melbourne Herald, Ally is a house sitter who occupies one home after the other, looking after other people’s homes for them which gives her free accommodation all over the country which suites her needs pretty well. Haunted by the thought that she is just like her mother, Ally shies away from relationships that makes her feel too much and which requires a commitment from her part until silver-eyed Tyler Adamson changes how she views the world once and for all.

For the full review with quotes head on to http://bit.ly/gEaeSG

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Goodbye.

02/04/2011 page 17
7.0% "I'm already hooked! Sarah Mayberry rocks!"
02/04/2011 page 89
35.0% "I don't want anything to take me away from this story. But duty calls *sigh*"
02/04/2011 page 256
100.0% "Loved every minute of it! :) Review coming soon!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (last edited Feb 05, 2011 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie Sarah Mayberry is has a remarkable ability at writing series-length books that deliver. I haven't been impressed with many category romances, but hers are wonderful. this one is on my tbr list. Great review!

Maldivianbookreviewer Thank you Carrie! Yes, she is a wonderful author. I put all the book on my TBR pile on hold when her books are released. Yes, her books deliver on all fronts for me. :)
Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.