Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

In Daimon, the short story prequel, Alex’s mother was killed by a group of Strigoi daimons, but Alex was lucky enough to escape. At the beginning of Half-Blood, she is found by Dimitri Aiden and other Guardians Sentinels and returned to the Covenant, where she hopes to continue her education. However, the dean is none too happy with her. She has lost three years of training and he thinks she shouldn’t be allowed to rejoin her classmates. Instead, he wants to give her the elixir which will turn her into a mindless slave for the Moroi Pures. Of course, Aiden steps up and offers to train her in his free time and because of his words, Alex is given a chance to prove that she can become just as good as the others by the end of the summer.

Relationships between Pures and Half-Bloods are strictly forbidden. Alex is a half-blood, try guessing what Aiden is! If they end up together and someone finds out, nothing will happen to Aiden because he’s a Pure, but Alex will be forced into slavery and will probably have to be a servant in her stepfather’s (who also happens to be a very powerful politician) house.

I think this book was some sort of an experiment: how much can an author take from another author and avoid being sued for plagiarism?! Jennifer Armentrout crossed the line considerably if you ask me. It’s true that we are used to YA paranormal literature being formulaic, but that’s not what this is about. Armentrout wasn’t just following the usual formula - more than half of this book is flat-out stolen. Far too many characters and situations were just copied from the Vampire Academy series to Half-Blood for it to be an accident. I can't help but wonder what this woman was thinking. She had too know how obvious it'll be.

Under normal circumstances, Half-Blood would have been a solid 4-star book for me. The characters are interesting enough, the world is well built, the plot is compelling and the writing itself isn’t half bad. But I can’t bring myself to reward Armentrout’s actions. If I do, if we all do, where will it end?

There are some differences between Half-Blood and Vampire Academy, especially in the second half. But by the time I reached those parts, I was already going back and forth from depressed to angry and I just couldn’t find it within myself to care.

Vampire Academy fans should read this out of sheer curiosity. I recommend borrowing it from the library or something because buying it means encouraging other thieves authors to do the same. I really don’t want to see The Panthers of Hope Falls on some shelf next year.
133 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

10/06/2011
64.0% "At least 60% of this book is stolen. Richelle Mead is going to be one angry lady."
10/06/2011
74.0% "There! That's what the story needed - a love triangle!! I hate myself for reading this." 2 comments

message 1: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle Oh no. I've heard so many good things about this book I was looking forward to it. Boo.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) The book wasn't bad, actually. But I just couldn't get past the fact that it was mostly stolen.

message 3: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle Ah. Hate when that happens.

HєllyBєlly Ugh. just like Giselle I had planned to read this one - have the prequel on my reader. Dampens my enthusiasm somewhat that it seems to be heavily inspired by Vampire Academy. Thanks for the reveiw, Maja!

message 5: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Tint wow,,, I don't know if even my curiosity as a VA fan would make me want to read this,,, I hate rip offs

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I was so excited about this one! I blame that beautiful cover.

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Exactly Sue. I don't want to read it just on principle. There are far too many original books out there that I would rather spend my time reading.

Thanks Maja... I was actually planning on reading this soon too.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Anytime, darling. Are you ready for the zombie readalong?

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Maja wrote: "Anytime, darling. Are you ready for the zombie readalong?"

Sure... May not be the fastest reader though. I've had book ADD lately and am all over the place.

message 10: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Did you get the galley grab???

message 11: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie After taking a look at it I'm kinda sad though... it's short! Boooo

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It's short and there's really nothing interesting. The Elf Girl is the only one I've noticed so far. :(

About Stony, we can start today then. everyone else is in too.

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Alright. I'll have to start it this afternoon when I get off work but that works for me. :D

I saw Elf Girl too, I want to read that. I added a few others that I'd consider reading like Death Watch and did you see Kelly Meding - Trance? It was in the adult galley section which I thought was odd. I thought it was YA.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Elf Girl sounds YA too. I downloaded Trance now, but all in all, the last two months have been pathetic.

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie They have! Last one really sucked from what I remember, and this one certainly didn't make up for it. But here's what I think. I think they've been holding out and November is going to rock, and it'll be a nice birthday present to me. :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, Bonnie, eternal optimist. I love that about you! :D

message 17: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie hahaha It takes a lot of work, but I really try.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) So we can probably start Stony today. The time difference will be the end of us.

message 19: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie It sure will. But I'm sure we'll figure out how to make it work like we always do. :)

I'll be able to finish one of my books throughout my work day I'm hoping and then that way I'll not have 5 books going on at once. haha

Wendy Darling I'm okay to start Stony today, too. It will make a nice addition to my plate, which currently has lesbian ghosts, vampires, homicidal water horses, and serial killers.

Galley Grab has definitely been meh recently--and we didn't even get a September one! What goes on? They seem to be withholding a lot of titles.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) They figured us out. :D

Are you sure you want to start another one?!

message 22: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Wendy and I are in the same boat. I have about 6 books I'm currently reading. hahaha But I'm fine. I'll figure it out. :D

Wendy Darling Of course! I also started The Apothecary, hah, and I've had to resist opening others. There are just too many good ones I want to read at the moment.

Bonnie, do you want to host this one on your review? (Hey, this is my first readalong with you, too!) If so, I'll hop over and let Reynje know where we'll be.

message 24: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie You're right, why haven't we done a readalong together yet? :)

Sure, that works for me. I'll put it on my currently reading shelf for now but won't be able to start this till I get some real work done. :P

Wendy Darling Cool! And same here, I'll start it later today. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes, let Reynje know that the party is in Bonnie's house. Let's do it. :)

Wendy Darling Done! :)

message 28: by oliviasbooks (last edited Oct 08, 2011 01:30AM) (new)

oliviasbooks Thank you for being so clear/direct and for differenciating between formula and plagiarism. This is now even leaving my maybe-wishlist. If it does not go willingly, I will resort to applying force.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It wasn't just the world structure that was copied. That alone would have been bad enough. But there were situations, convertsations even, to the point where I knew exactly what was going to happen because I knew how it happened in VA.

It was a little scary, to be honest.

message 30: by oliviasbooks (last edited Oct 08, 2011 01:47AM) (new)

oliviasbooks How can the publisher go / get away with it? Copying from some overlooked gem might work, but something well-known?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I have no idea. They must have done it on purpose, it's not something that could have gone unnoticed. And as far as I can see, she has a contract for at least three more books.

Ezmirelda I thought I was the only one who noticed!
I listed as many similarities as I could in my review to prove that it could not have been a coincidence. The author of this book stole everything and she's getting paid for it. Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought you had to ask the authors permission before you try and publish a fan-fiction of their book. It was such an enjoyable read but as a writer it angers me that someone thinks it's okay to openly steal another authors story and honestly expect us readers not to notice. :[

message 33: by vampz (new) - added it

vampz this is an exact rip off from VAMPIRE ACADEMY. but still i love vampire academy so i am going give this book a chance.

Petra Sýkorová Oh, THANK YOU for this review! I can believe that she did it! She stole whole scenario from VA and I am angry that somebody give this book more then 3 stars! WTF? Like... really? I really love VA and this book is just... arrrgh... this book is just WRONG!

Racquel You review is SO good.I'm gonna copy it, change some words around & post it as my own. That's not called plagiarism! plus it would be a perfect example of what this book is...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm laughing because I did the same thing on my review with the crossed out words! I swear, I didn't pull an Armentrout and copy you!

Completely agree with the review though.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you, ladies. My notifications haven't really been reliable so I'm afraid I didn't see some of these comments before. :)

Stacia, *gasps* you wouldn't do that! Only rude people do such things. ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Rude and/or sneaky people. :)

message 39: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jan 17, 2012 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) True enough. :) But I don't think she's trying to be sneaky - everyone and their next door neighbor know what she's done, it's just that most people don't mind, which baffles me, truthfully.

message 40: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Apr 06, 2012 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Stacia (the 2010 club) I keep wavering on my rating. It's a complete 1 star for originality, but darnit, I enjoyed reading the book. I feel like there's something wrong with me for even giving it a 3. It's like I'm awarding bad behavior. *edit* I ended up going back and removing my star rating because it was making my brain hurt.

Vespi I had a hard time with the rating too. On one hand, I felt it was a decently written story. On the other hand, it was so blatantly VA 2.0 I couldn't enjoy it because my jaw kept dropping at all the similarities. Oh how I wish I copied down some of the phrases and dialogues that were the similar/clones.

message 42: by Kavanand (new)

Kavanand Thanks for your review. I made it through three chapters and couldn't believe how similar it was to VA. I don't think I can continue with it. It just feels wrong.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree darling a total rip-off.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Your review is hilarious love it!

Elena My exact thought! I admit that Seth's character interests me, but I'm thoroughly pissed off by how much this resembles Vampire Academy! VA is my favorite YA series, so Jennifer L.Armentrout kind of touched a sensible spot.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) No, I just said that I recommend borrowing instead of buying for those who are determined to read it. But no, I don't recommend the book at all.

message 47: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright love the review!

Lindsey Do you feel like this one is worth reading? I enjoyed the VA series and thought Daimon was just ok. The main reason in asking is because of how i felt about her Lux series. I wasn't into Obsidian, but was hooked by Opal...and feel like I agreed with all your reviews on those books. Thanks!

Annie in-love-w/-books yes there are similarities, no doubt, but the series goes in a completely different direction with the following books. I can strongly recommend this series and JLA!

Nur Syahrain what the fudgeballs are you yappin about? just because it has similarities from VA doesnt mean she commits plagiarism and the plotline is flat-out stolen. pstttt nonsense!

« previous 1