Lobstergirl's Reviews > Winter's Bone

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, to-be-burned
Recommended for: trilobites
Read from February 03 to 05, 2011

Horrendous, goopy, writers' workshop writing.

"Moons of ache glowed in spaces of her meat and when she moved the moons banged together and stunned." (Are sentences required to make sense in "contemporary fiction?")

"Moans droned from her chest of bones. Shit leaked from her panties and she felt runnels of yuck on her thighs." Channeling Dr. Seuss and Cormac McCarthy simultaneously: ambitious!

"She thrust her head into the cold and broadcast the hot mush of old swallowed food toward the snowbanks." Conjures up a Rush Limbaugh radio program, somehow. Was "catapulted" too literal?

The thought that instructors are actually encouraging soupy messes like this is dispiriting, and one wants now to read things that are cleansing, purifying, bracing tonics, literary enemas - Willa Cather, Sir Walter Scott, Jackie Collins, the minutes of the winter meeting of the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Bone.

02/03 page 3
01/29 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

RandomAnthony I'll be curious as to what you think of this...

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls Plenty of yuck runnels in the (very good) film version. Didn't see any meat spaces or moon banging, though. :(

Lobstergirl I might see the movie. Maybe. It has to be better than the book. That I can say for sure.

message 4: by Brixton (new)

Brixton I used to say I'd never get a book published because I "wasn't good enough"; I think it's time to start saying I'll never get a book published because I'm not bad enough.

message 5: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn The movie is a classic, I can't believe the book is that bad.

Lobstergirl You may want to read it for yourself, of course. People have different tastes. According to my taste, it was torturous.

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Ooooh! Funny! Way to go Lobstergirl! Your snippets are interesting to read. It sure doesn't seem like it's worth the bru ha ha. I, too, heard the film was fantastic but now I don't know what I'll think but I certainly won't feel bad I'm not reading the book!

message 8: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn I am dying

message 9: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn to read the book and downloaded it onto my kindle.

Lobstergirl I guess that's slightly better than Gasbee (Governmental Accounting Standards Board).

rachel "Moans droned from her chest of bones" is truly awful and when I first began reading, I thought the writing was going to kill it dead. But the poignant moments are balancing out the purple for me. I don't know, Ree's a pretty tough lady.

Lobstergirl I suppose she is, but that didn't help the author any.

Bettie☯ Yes Yes Yes - at last a true repesentation.