mstan's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, american, favourite-ya, addictive-ya, coming-soon-sanctuary
Recommended for: All female teenagers!
Read in May, 2011, read count: 1

In general, most readers like the sequel to If I Stay better than the first book itself. I find myself a bit torn though, as I loved Mia's family, and they are not quite as present in 'Where She Went' (when their photographs popped up near the end I was so excited/sad/overwhelmed).

Three years after Mia woke up from her coma (this shouldn't really be a spoiler now that the presence of the sequel has given the ending of 'If I Stay' away!), she and Adam remain on separate coasts of the United States. Adam is in a mess. Three years ago, Mia had left him without saying why; now, he is reduced to being a pill-popping, drama-queen cliche of a rock star in Los Angeles while Mia... remains an cello-playing enigma in New York City.

Just for one night, Adam and Mia run into each other in NYC and he finally gets some answers.

The journey is intense, satisfyingly fast-paced, and extremely romantic. I LOVE New York City, and lived vicariously through Adam's discovery of late-night diners, the claustrophobic subway system, Hudson River and Brooklyn Bridge through Mia.

Adam is unreal - the eminently desirable tortured young musician - and he and Mia exist in some odd sort of co-dependency (moping after THREE years? ugh) but you know what, this is a wonderful guilty pleasure. You can listen to The Wilde Man's voice here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-biCsD....

NB: I hope no movie adaptation gets made, because I can't imagine how perfection can be portrayed in real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.