Logan's Reviews > Black Ships Before Troy

Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: historical, folktale-fairytale-myth
Read in April, 2011

J read The Iliad and the Odyssey: The heroic story of the trojan war the fabulous adventures of odysseus, which was meant for younger readers, to Logan (who is nearly 7) and although I only got this version for older kids for the pictures (by the same illustrator who illustrated Tolkien's books), L really wanted to read it too. I did find the language of this version more fun, complex, and poetic than the other, but boy, it was much more graphic. The funny thing is that L was completely unfazed by that. He just liked the endless heroics. Which I must say did seem to go on as long as the Trojan war itself, what with the plethora of Greek names to pronouce and keep track of, and the many battles that all began to sound the same. Often, L couldn't even remember which characters were the Greeks and which were the Trojans, he was so busy letting the glory of the clashing swords and flashy armor wash over him. But who am I kiddng? Half the time, I couldn't keep track either. The final sacking of Troy really took it out of me. What a bummer of an ending. Sigh. L would probably give this 4 stars, but personally, I don't think it was age-appropriate for him or that enjoyable for me, so I'm knocking off a star. Not that I think Sutcliff lacks anything as a writing, but because the story itself is just so repetitive and savage. Those gods; what a bunch of selfish losers.

Sutcliff also wrote The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey, but I think I'll wait a couple years on that one!

One thing this book had that I wish more books did was a pronunciation guide at the back to help a tired mama with all the long Greek names.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Ships Before Troy.