Alisa's Reviews > The Country Girls Trilogy

The Country Girls Trilogy by Edna O'Brien

Feb 04, 08

Read in January, 2007

I think I'd give the 1st volume 2 stars, the 2nd three, and the 3rd four. The low rating of the first is probably all my fault. I felt like I did when I read "Emma" in the 5th grade. I technically "understood" what was happening, but I didn't get it at all. I didn't know why the things people said were interesting, and I missed all the cues that revealed character. I didn't get any jokes, I didn't get anything. Sometimes I have a little trouble with the context of history, especially when it comes to acceptable public behavior. People make asses of themselves, but I think they're just being sensible. It's true I don't get out much.

But I couldn't get it out of my head. So I read the 2nd volume 6 months later, and I got a little more. I was used to them. I started the 3rd volume after 2 or 3 months. ? I thought I was finally starting to get it. And there on the first page, I was already wrong. Baba was talking, not Kate. How could Kate not be talking? Argh. A brilliant stroke.

The only book place I've ever heard "linked" used this way. "...and she linked me down the street."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Country Girls Trilogy.