Basicallyrun's Reviews > Enigma

Enigma by Robert Harris

Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: turing-related
Read in January, 2011

This book makes me happy. Yeah, OK, significant lack of Alan Turing, but to be fair, that's historically accurate. Plus there was the adorable scene where Jericho asks Turing to be his supervisor and is basically 'I want to do this topic because you're studying it too, and you're so smart and all. *puppy-dog eyes*' And how cool is Hester? Perhaps the name bestows innate qualities of awesomeness. I like her being a bitter feminist, because let's be honest here, she's got a damn good point - she's provably better than the men called down with her, but guess who gets stuck in the secretarial job? Yeah. And there are definite hints of Hester/Claire, which would be so fun to write vignettes for, and her relationship with Tom isn't overdone at all (unlike in the film). Though I do think the film got her snarky line about 'Why, Miles, with my glasses off, you look almost tolerably attractive too!' rather better. Heh, weird, that's two books, nearly in a row, with central characters called Tom and Hester.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enigma.