Sally's Reviews > Intertwined

Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Sep 16, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads, faeries, ghosts-spirits, goblins, people-with-powers, vampires, werewolves-shifters, witches-wizards, time-travel
Read from August 26 to September 03, 2011

Aden's world is one where absolutely anything can happen! We have demons, faeries, witches, vampires, werewolves, zombies and people who can raise the dead, people who can travel back in time, and people who can see the future- you name it this book has it- even dragons are alluded to (although not actually in the book). It works though, and I liked the way the different mythologies all had a back story and were all mixed together, hidden from the rest of the world.
The main character in Intertwined is Aden Stone, who actually has four characters with voices and powers of their own living inside his mind. I was really intrigued by the idea of this, but couldn't really picture it until I started reading it and seeing what Aden has to go through. Aden has had a hard life, passed from foster home to foster home, labelled as a problem child and diagnosed with mental problems because of his habit of zoning out and talking to himself (really talking to the personalities inside his head). Aden is now in a new place with a fresh start and makes some new friends (and a few enemies), but I loved all the characters in this- Aden, Victoria, Riley, Mary-Ann, Shannon, and even the characters inside Aden's head. Once Aden meets his new friends they have a great connection and work really well as a team. Aden had been having visions of himself in the future in a relationship with beautiful brunette and so when he meets her he is desperate to make that future come true. He has also seen his own death in the not-too-distant future, and that is one future that he tries hard not to make come true.
For me this book did take a while to get going, but then I absolutely loved it- action packed and gripping. It's good fun with lots of twists and surprises. I like the relationships Aden has with the others- his budding relationship with Victoria, his friendship with Mary-Ann, and the even the relationships he has with the people in his head- he depends on them for advice and they are like a part of him. The only problem is that nothing is really resolved at the end- so now I have to get book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intertwined.

08/27/2011 page 102