Jennifer's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Feb 03, 11

Read in February, 2011

Wow, this was an undertaking. After Kenneth repeatedly telling me I HAD to read it, I did. It was difficult to get into. There aren't any really sympathetic characters. I knew who I was supposed to be cheering for, but I didn't really want to. There were many times I wanted to stop reading, but Kenneth wanted me to keep going. The profanity is atrocious, that really bothered me. The rape scenes, oops, I mean love scenes were plentiful, which bothered me. The writing was heavy handed and very black and white. We get it being for yourself is good, giving to others and/or being forced to give to others who are not worthy is bad.

Don't get me wrong, this really helped me become clearer on a lot of things as far as capitalism and socialism, working hard and being able to keep what you have worked hard for. I was drinking the kool-aid for a good portion of it, then came the speech. It was so disruptive to the flow of the story. It was painful to read as I had already read several hundred pages of the same thing. I found it impossible to get back into the book for the remaining 10% of the book. I really didn't care anymore.

My recommendation is that if you are looking for the story, then skip the speech, it is not worth it. If you are looking for the message, then just read the speech and you will learn all you need to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bree I totally agree! I thought that if you could over look the completely selfish and amoral characters that it could have actually been a pretty interesting story. The radio speech was completely useless and made me feel like she felt I had to be a complete idiot since I "obviously" couldn't understand her point from the context of the story.